t h i r t e e n

13

Lucky enough for me, Lily had invited Harry to come here on the same day and time. Was she doing this on purpose? She had no reason to. They were close enough that I could see the evening looks that they were sporting. Lily looked extremely elegant for the evening, her shimmery gold one shoulder cocktail dress was accessorized with a dainty little necklace and statement earrings. And her hair was delicately tucked away in a little braided bun with her bangs curled at the side. Harry seemed like he was in the exact same situation as me. His red flannel jacket and jeans were so out of place that I almost felt bad for him-yet he didn't seem to care as he adjusted himself to his chair.

Syrus remained oblivious that they were practically sitting inches away from us. I tinkered with my flute glass, trying to make up my mind. Had they seen us sitting here? Should I go and say hi or should I just leave them alone and mind my own business?

I started to get up until I noticed Harry had started laughing-the kind of laugh that you put your whole body into and your face would grow red. He was probably laughing at some joke that Lily was had told him. I had never seen Harry laugh so hard at anything before since I've met him. Sitting back down, I realized maybe Lily would suit Harry. All I knew was that I could never make him laugh like that.

Feeling defeated and miserable I sat back down and picked back up the menu. Syrus noticed my change in mood and cleared his throat-catching my attention.

"This place is really nice, isn't it?" He gestured to the dazzling chandeliers above us.

I smiled. "Yeah, it is." It was fancier than any other place that I've ever been to. And to think I was here with Syrus, my least favourite person. He wasn't terribly hard to get along with, his antics are just what ticked me off. How often do you have to tell someone off until they get the clue that you just aren't that interested in them?

"Do you know what you're going to order for your appetizer?"

"Uh.." I began to say. "I'm trying to find something here that's under $50." My eyes scanned the menu in front of me, trying to find something that could fit my price range. All of the names of the dishes were incredibly foreign sounding and intricate. To think that the appetizers alone were already $50, I wondered if all I could do tonight was just drink tap water.

"Don't worry about the cost! I'll pay for it!" Syrus gave me a reassuring nod, making sure I didn't limit myself to the 50 under dishes.

"I can't make you pay for my meal too, it would be way too expensive!" My hands lingered over the little white clutch that only held a cupcake scented lip balm and $30. I had thought that was enough when I left the house-it would cover the dinner and a drink. Boy was I wrong, but I wasn't about to admit it to Syrus.

Syrus seemed to know that I was going to refuse even further so he leaned closer onto the table. "I'm not going to let you pay, alright? Call it a gift from me." He winked as he leaned back and flashed his limit-less grin.

"Fine.." I said, but I knew I wasn't going to let the night end without me at least slipping in my $30 onto the bill.