t e n

10

"Holy shit! Holy shit!" I feverishly whispered, my mind in total chaos. No doubt I would be kicked out of my house for sure this time, if my mom saw that there was not only one, but TWO strangers loitering around the house.

My eyes darted towards the open trap door. If she walks down the hallway and sees the coat closet door open, we're all done for.

Mr.Gotz slipped a copy of files that was sitting on the desk, into his lab pocket-before turning around to face us. "I don't think that was a good sign, I presume."

"My mom's home! She's not going to listen to your explanation." I was already pulling out my hair, figuring out how to maneuver myself out of this situation. "You have to hide!"

Turning off the flashlight, he lumbered over to the ladder and began to pace himself up the steps. "Don't worry, I can just exit through the back door. No problem at all!" He assured me, while gripping his briefcase in one hand, and the other on the ladder step.

"Wait!" I called out to him from below.

"Hm?" He turned around, while still gripping onto the ladder's step.

My eyes flitted sideways to Harry's oblivious face. "I still have so many questions about him!" I confessed in a low whisper.

How did Harry survive in that cold weather yesterday? Where was he going the night before, in the forest?

"Don't worry, Harry will eventually come around to answering you." Mr.Gotz gave me a feeble smile, before hastily climbing out and leaving both me and Harry alone in the dark room.

Did that mean Harry was going to start talking soon? I didn't know how I felt about that. It was weird even picturing him with a voice, let alone hear him piece together intricate sentences.

I heard the tell-tall sign that Mr.Gotz got out unnoticed, the sound of his shoe steps grew fainter and fainter before I heard the small creak of the back door open. My breath was captured inside my lungs, fearful that if I let go, it would somehow lead to my mom finding out about Mr.Gotz.

Seconds ticked by, until I realized my mom was being completely and utterly unaware of what was happening in her own house. Thank god for clueless mothers.

The thing was, I couldn't throw Harry back out. Even though I now knew that he would be totally capable to survive the night if I kicked him out. Yet, I had morals and manners. Even if he sprouted a second head, I still wouldn't let him sleep out on the cold frost biting air (which would do no damage to him, but still)

I turned sideways to face Harry, and caught his piercing gaze. My head was a little bit higher than his shoulder, yet I felt much smaller around him. He turned his head, curls moving around and met my gaze and smiled.

Smiled.

Not a smirk or a half smile. A legitimate full faced smile that caused the ends of his eyes to crinkle a little bit and set the fine lines for smile wrinkles when he would grow old.