Ch 3 - Thinking Like A Queen

I grip Maxon's hand tightly, unprepared for what faces me on the other side of the doors. Maxon and I take a deep breath and I slowly tug open the door.

10 pairs of eyes stare at Maxon and me and seem to criticize our every move. Only one pleasant face greets me: Nobrey, one of my best friends and my advisor. Nobrey lived in Carolina with me a long time ago, and we used to be best friends when we were younger and discovering our talents. As a Five, Nobrey was an artist, but she really craved to be a teacher. Even now, Nobrey never stopped learning, never stopped discovering, never stopped asking questions.

Maxon and I sit at the head of the table, with Nobrey slightly on my left. Maxon has his own advisor, some French-born nobleman who's name I couldn't pronounce to save my life. He's aparently a great cook.

Maxon stands up and the quiet chatter in the background fades away. He clears his throat and begins, "As you know, our daughter Eadlyn will soon be of age and requires a husband to rule with her. America and I have called this meeting in order to discus how she will be receiving a husband. Who would like to speak first?"

Silence wraps the room like a blanket, leaving everyone staring at one another, urging them to speak first. Finally, one of the newer council members, I think her name is Emma Rose, stands up. We all turn towards her as she clears her throat.

"Your Majesties and fellow council members, when King Maxon called this meeting and asked each one of us to have our options ready to discuss, I was a little hesitant. Princess Eadlyn can come across as very independent and strong-willed, and it's important to remember that this is a person's future, not some game,"

"Princess Eadlyn needs someone to match her fire, not contain it, so we need someone accustomed to difficulties and hardship. Only our fellow brothers of Illea could ever fill this space, not some rich snob who spends all day looking in the mirror." A small chuckle escapes from Maxon's mouth. The only person that Emma could be talking about is Prince Edward. That guy literally never leaves the mirror. Ever.

"That's all very nice, but can you please get to the point! we haven't got all day, you know!" a scathing voice interrupts. That tone can only belong to one person: Mark Eady, the most influencial, and my personal least favorite, council member. "Can you just get to the point?"

"I was getting to the point until you interrupted me!" Emma says with a slight annoyance. "Anyway, I believe that the best choice for Eadlyn is to match her up with our brothers of Illea. We should hold a Selection." As soon as she says her answer, Emma sits down with a relieved look on her face. She doesn't have to worry anymore about Eadlyn's husband unless he causes a serious disturbance.

But, what if he causes trouble? If we hold a Selection, there's always a chance that Eadlyn could fall for a troublemaker or a boy who is just in it for the crown. She could also not find true love at all and would have to spend the rest of her life next to a guy she doesn't even trust.

I pause a take a breath to calm myself. I have to put on a brave face, though. I can't have my subjects questioning my sanity and ability.

Maxon stands back up and says, "Thank you Emma for your enlightened idea. Who would like to speak next?" Maxon breaks off as he stares around the room. Again people shift uncomfortably in their chairs and challenge their neighbors, with glares, to speak first. "Fine" says Maxon giving up in defeat, "I'll speak."

The words have barely escaped from his mouth when his French advisor sands up and whispers something in his ear. Maxon glares back and calmly states, "Yes, I'm well aware that the king always speaks last, but no one else volunteered and I haven't all day to sit around waiting for the council members to find their tongue. Now please sit down," Maxon orders with a look that seems to evaporate any of his advisor's courage.

"Now if there are anymore interruptions, please speak now," says Maxon glaring around the room once more. "Alright, I propose that Eadlyn travels the world, while Queen America and I are still in rule of course, and meet all the other princes around the world. Once all introductions are done, and Princess Eadlyn has a feel for each of the princes, she can pick which one she wants to spend the rest of her life with." Maxon sits down and waits for someone else to volunteer.

Mark Eady stands up and begins his long speech on how every princess in the past was married with a prince to form an alliance so we should continue that tradition, when I start to daze out and think about my argument...I don't even know my argument. Should Eadlyn have the same limited choice as Maxon or should she get no choice at all?

I puzzle over my thoughts while the discussion continues, until I notice everyone is staring at me. In a flash, I realize that it must be my turn to speak. I stand up, excuses each more feeble than the last run through my head: I couldn't come to a decision, I forgot to write a speech, I forgot about the meeting. Finally, I decide to speak from my heart. This is my daughter's and my families future!

I uncomfortably clear my throat and begin, "As Mark as already stated, princesses in the past have been handed over to princes in order to benefit Illea. This is tradition but, times have changed. Humans aren't playthings to be ordered around. Humans aren't goods to be traded with a foreign trader for the benefit of Illea. We're discussing Eadlyn's future, her whole life."

"I know that most of you agree with me when I say that we care about Illea. Actually, all of you should feel that way," I say as a chuckle expands in the room breaking the stony silence. I pause and then continue, "I believe, with all of my heart, that Eadlyn deserves some chance to shape her life. She deserves some choice in her future. She should feel joy, or at least partial joy, in waking up each morning in order to see her partner. She deserves someone, other than her family, who will offer a shoulder for her to cry on. She deserves someone who feels like family."

"I also think that Emma provides a valuable idea. If we hold a Selection, we can unite Illea and hopefully put out any sparks of rebellion. A Selection could be the perfect distraction for the people and us. I'm almost 100% sure that we need more time to brainstorm ideas," I pause again and look at Maxon. "I remember once, when I was still in the Selection, King Maxon confessed that it's very difficult to be part of a Selection. What if you send the wrong person home and realize too late? What if nobody here is the right match for you? Well, since we all know that Princess Eadlyn is strongly opposed to having a husband, we give her a time restriction, we don't want Eadlyn to send everyone home after the first week."

I stop and think carefully about what I'm about to suggest. "I strongly suggest that we place a time restriction on her, maybe 3-4 months, just to make sure that she would actually try," I pause and wince, waiting for outrage to fill the room. It doesn't. I glance up in confusion. Emma and Nobrey are first to their feet, clapping. They are followed quickly by Maxon and several other council members, who all rise to their feet and clap. For me. For me and my outrageous idea.

I notice that some council members, Mark among them, who do not make an effort to get to their feet. I don't care. I clear my throat to bring silence and finish, "So, in conclusion, I believe that Eadlyn should have the freedom to choose her own future. But, I also believe that she should have some limitations, just in case Eadlyn uses the Selection to her advantage."

My speech was last, so everyone discusses the speeches and ideas that were put forward. I don't join in. I'm just happy to be in my state of blissfulness. Eventually, the council, the advisors, and Maxon reach a decision. We're going to hold a Selection. There won't be any time-related rules placed on Eadlyn (Maxon had argued hard for that one), but a Selection none the less.

Maxon catches my eye and mouths: thinking like a queen. Right at that moment, I agree wholeheartedly. This firey person, me, can do anything and everything. And I just did.