Chapter 11

I woke up, lying on Pete’s chest. I knew I moved around in my sleep so it wasn’t that suprising. He had his one hand on my back, softly stroking it which meant he was awake. I sat up and looked at him. “Good morning” he said with a smirk. He got up and took my hand, pulling me downstairs after him. “Are you making breakfast, Wentz?” I asked him as he placed a pan on the stove. “I actually know how to make pancakes and I Bronx loves those so yeah, I am.” I laughed. “I’m expecting great things” I said and sat at the kitchen counter. “Did you sleep well?” Pete asked. “Yeah, quite alright. You move in your sleep too though, don’t you?” He laughed. “Yeah, sorry.” “Same.”

After a while, Bronx came downstairs and sat next to me, asking me how long I’d stay so I told him I’d have to leave soon because I had work in the afternoon. “What are you working?” he asked when he finished his second pancake while I was still chewing on the first half of my first one. “I’m a journalist” I explained. “Is that cool?” “Yeah, it’s very cool, I love it.” He smiled back at me when I smiled at him. I wouldn’t get over how cute he was.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. “She can’t be that early” Pete mumbled in annoyance and got up to open the door. I heard her irritating voice from the hallway. “Is Bronx ready? Or is it taking you hours to get him ready again? I don’t have all day, you know.” “He’s almost done, come on in for a second, Ash” Pete said. I felt so sorry for him, I knew he didn’t want to start a fight because of Bronx but she was making it so damn hard. Ashlee followed Pete into the kitchen, then looked at me with something that couldn’t be read as anything else than disgust. Fuck, could she just fuck off? She was wearing a short skirt that showed off her long legs and some high boots. A green jacket and a grey top with that. She looked so fake, her hair was down and she had big sunglasses on again. I knew she had gotten her nose done but it looked like her whole face had changed since she used to be that teenage girl who sang for teens back when she had still looked natural.

“What is she still doing here? Did she stay overnight?” No, bitch. I always walk around in Pete’s clothes and have no make-up on. “Yeah, why?” Pete asked, unimpressed. “So this relationship is supposed to fail! You can only fuck it up!” “Don’t swear in front of Bronx” Pete said, countering to what she had told him yesterday. I laughed to myself. “Pete, how can you introduce new girlfriends to my kid?!” “Damn, it’s our kid. And Charlie is not my girlfriend. I told you yesterday that we’re friends.” “Friends stay over?” He nodded. I was kind of getting enough here now. I stood up and walked over to her. “Listen, Ashlee. I seriously understand your worries concerning Bronx but he kind of asked me to stay over! I’m sorry if that upsets you but I am not planning on just leaving after Bronx gets attached to me. I know what you’re worried about.” She actually smiled and it seemed genuine this time but I still had to hold myself back and speak calmly to not punch her in the face for talking down Pete all the time. “Thanks” she said. “What was your name again?” “Charlie” I said and took a deep breath, Pete had just said my name a minute ago.

In that moment, you heard someone unlock the front door and it opened. “Pete, who the hell…?” Ashlee gasped but she was interrupted. “Bitches, what is uuuup?” Gabe shouted and appeared in the kitchen. “Gabe has your key?” Ashlee asked. “He’s my best friend. Hey, man. What’s up?” “I see this is a little bitchfight party” he said because Ashlee and I were still in about-to-bitchfight-position. Gabe sat down next to Bronx though and messed up his hair. He was wearing a shirt with the top buttons open and some skinny jeans, flip flops and a blue snapback. Gabe was always sexy though, no matter what he wore.

“Hey, you’re the girl Pete met at the bar! I danced with your friend, Sofia, would you give me her number?” Gabe asked me. I laughed. “Yeah, sure, she wanted your number too. I’ll give you hers and you can call her” I said and gave him her number, then he quickly gave me his. I rang him so he also had mine. “Bronx, sweetie, you’re done, we’re leaving” Ashlee interrupted and picked up Bronx from his chair. “Bye, Gabe! Bye, Charlie!” he shouted and stretched his arms into Pete’s direction. Pete walked Ashlee to the door. She left without a word after Pete had hugged Bronx Goodbye. “Fuck, man. You know, I hate your ex-wife. What do you think about her?” Gabe said and looked at me, stealing the rest of my pancake from my plate. I laughed but I didn’t mind because I wasn’t hungry anymore anyway. “Ew” was all I said and the boys laughed at me. “Bronx is only you, Pete, he’s got nothing from her” Gabe said. “I’ll call your friend now” he added towards me and took his phone, walking out into the living room to call Sofia.