Chapter 12

“Fuck!” I heard Pete shout, he was sittign in front of his laptop while I was playing cards with Gabe before I had to go to work. “What’s wrong?” we both asked at the same time but neither of us looked up. “Shit! Get over here, Miller! Look at this” Pete said and I put my cards down. “Don’t cheat, Gabriel!” He pulled an angel face and I got up, walking over to Pete. I looked down at the screen, resting my elbow on his shoulder. “Oh…” I said. There was a picture of us and Bronx at the zoo and the heading over it was simply not to be misunderstood. “Pete Wentz – new girlfriend. Already?

He pointed at the article underneath, pulling me onto his lap so I could read it.

After the divorce from Ashlee Simpson, she was first to be seen with a new guy. But then quickly after, Wentz was seen with a girlfriend himself, dating her for qute some time, actually even more than a year. So, what is going on now? While Simpson is still with her boyfriend that she met after her divorce from Wentz, her ex-husband is already going out with a new girl. Who is she? Nobody knows yet because apparently she’s even less famous than his ex-girlfriend, Meagan Camper. And what kind of dad is he, introducing his new girl to his son already? And what does Ashlee think about that? – Click here for more infos on our official website.

“I’m so sorry, Miller. I didn’t want to get you mixed up with the press.” “It’s alright, no one knows who I am, it just sucks that they’re talking shit about you.” “That’s the meanest gossip site online, I’m always on there because my stories can be twisted around very easily. Don’t worry about me though, they didn’t say anything about you so it’s all good, that’s what counts.” “But only because they don’t know me. Do you think they can find out who I am?” “No, no way. You’re not famous for anything, are you?” I shook my head. “Good, it’ll stay like that. I just hope Ash won’t give her opinion on this.” “I think she means well” I said genuinely because I of course understood her worries about Pete taking care of Bronx. In some ways, he still was a child himself. “Alright, time for me to” I said and got my bag. “Our game, Miller!” Gabe protested. “Sorry, the adults here have to work!” I joked and hugged him. I also hugged Pete and walked out the door.

At work, I had to tell Callie about everythign again. She found the whole situation very exciting. Suddenly, the girl from the reception desk ran up to us with a piece of paper in her hands, she was in tears. “Honey, what’s wrong?” Callie asked and put her arm around her shoulder. “I can’t believe this!” she sobbed. “Tell us what’s wrong” I encouraged her but I was worried already. “Mag … she…” she started. Mag was our boss and normally she was very nice so I didn’t know what she would’ve done to her. “She signed the papers to sell the offices here! Our offices! A new company is moving in here, she got a job there for it right away but us others … we’re all fucked!” “What?” I asked. I couldn’t believe it. “There must have been some mistake!” “She said she tried to get us all jobs but of course she didn’t! She just saved her own ass, leaving the sinking ship.” I hugged her and looked around for Mag but of course she wasn’t here anymore. She had left with a lot of stuff this morning and she wouldn’t come back to give everybody the chance to bitch in her face. She was clever, I had always known that but I had never expected her to be like that.

My heart started beating incredibly fast when I realised that I had just lost my job and with that, my income. My mouth went dry and my palms started to sweat. What was I going to do? I was fucked. Tears came to my eyes too and streamed down my cheeks. Callie hugged us both. Everyone in the office was either freaking out or crying. This was fucked up, I’d lose everything. I didn’t have any money to pay for my flat for another month or to pay for my car! I couldn’t just … no. I could barely afford any more than my car and my flat before so what was I going to do now? This was such a shock. Finding a new job as a journalist would be very difficult, I knew that. It was practically impossible without connections in the business. And because our magazine had already been pretty down and unknown, no one would know about me or some of my other friends here. We were all fucked.