Chapter 13

I came home and when I closed the door, I let myself slide down the wall. I pulled my knees up and put my arms around them, resting my head on my knees. Tears streamed down my cheeks again, fuck. What was I supposed to do? Finding a job in my business, as a journalist, it wouldn't work. It wasn't even an option, it was too hard, it was practically impossible. My phone started to vibrate in my handbag and I got it out. It was Pete. I clicked the call away, I couldn't talk to him. I couldn't admit how the fuck I had managed to lose my job and fucked up my whole life with it. I couldn't tell him. It was too embarrassing, he would think I'm the weirdest bitch in the world. Fuck, what was I supposed to do? I had to get a job in another business, something lame or I would never be able to get money again. When I ignored the call, he called again.

He kept calling during the whole evening and when I kept ignoring the calls he started texting me to call him back. But I didn't. He would find out, once he'd ask me what was wrong I wouldn't be able to lie. But I did not want to tell him. I wanted to fucking be alone with my problem, I wouldn't be able to handle the embarrassment if he knew. Fuck, this sucked so much.

I made dinner and ate while watching crappy comedy shows. Suddenly the doorbell rang. I didn't care, I didn't want to answer. But after a few minutes, the bell right at the door of my appartment rang. What the fuck...? Whoever had been down outside at first had actually gotten in now and wanted to see me really quickly. Who could it be? Well, no matter who it was, I didn't want to talk so I kept sitting where I was. The ringing didn't stop. I couldn't be bothered to open, just like I couldn't be bothered to think about what I was gonna do about money problems.

All my stuff from the office stood in my living room in a box. The bell kept ringing. "Dammit!" I screamed, put my empty plate aside and got off the sofa, walking towards the door angrily. I pulled it open. It was Pete. I frowned and all my anger was blown away. He just stood there and stared at me. "I thought something happened to you" he said. "Because I didn't pick up the phone?" I asked. "I'm just worried easily. Can I come in?" I stepped back and nodded. He turned on the light in the hall and closed the door behind himself.

"Oh my god, Charlie, have you been crying?!" he asked and wrapped his arms around my waist. I just sobbed and started crying more and more. I had known I couldn't hold myself back if I saw him. "I have to move out of this flat tomorrow, that's when the month ends and I don't know where to go." "What? Why?" He looked at me with wide open eyes, he was confused. "Because I lost my job today, my boss just sold the offices and we all lost our job, the whole staff of the magazine!" "What? Oh my god, I'm so sorry! But when you lose your job, you..." "She just signed the papers and didn't tell anyone, we all have to get out, it was all planned falsely, she did this on purpose!" "She can't do that." "I can't fight against that, Pete, seriously! I just don't know what to do!" "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" "Because I was too embarrassed, I'm such a loser." "You're not! It's not your fault!" He hugged me tighter. "But I'm so desperate, I don't know what to do! I got a text, I need to move out tomorrow, tomorrow. That's not like ... I don't ... I mean..." "Hey, hey. Miller, chill out." I looked at him while he was trying to comfort me, stroking my back and kissing my hair. "You will just move in with me, simple as that." "Pete, please. I couldn't." "You have to, I insist. Even if it's just for a short time until you've figured it all out again." "We don't know eachother well enough to live together." "I don't give a shit, let's not be stereotypical here, it'd be fucking selfish if I'd just not help you, let's be honest, my house is fucking huge, you can easily live there." "But ... I can't expect that from you." "You can! I want to help you, I actually might even be able to get you a new job." "You shouldn't, that's too much." "Come on." "Pete..." "I insist. I won't leave this flat without you."