Chapter 8

Lane's P.O.V.

Ring--ring--ring

"Only 1 more period to go." said George. "1 more period for you, I have a free period." I said. "Lucky!" they all said in unison. "Don't worry I'll wait for you guys. George let me have your keys I'm gonna get a drink." I said. "Ok. Here you go." said George giving me the keys. "Besides, I already act like a Viper now I need to look like a Viper. I need you guys help with that." I said. "Ok, we'll try to get out of class. Meet us outside at 3:00." said John. "Ok." I said. The 5 of them go to class, and I head to my locker to grab my bag.

------At my locker------

When I open my locker I see a piece of paper fall to the floor. "What's this?" I said. I pick up the paper and open it.

Lane, meet me at the gym. Come alone, make sure nobody follows you. -Unknown.

"Who put this note in my locker? Only 1 way to find out." I said. I grab my bag, and then I check the time on my phone. "I better hurry its 2:00." I said.

------At the gym------

"Hello anyone here? I got your note, I came alone. Nobody followed me." I said. Then I hear footsteps, and see that its Michael. "What do you want nerd." I said. "I just want to talk." said Michael. "And why should I talk to you?" I said. "Just hear me out." said Michael. "Not a chance." I said starting to walk away. "I know you're pretending to be bad because your aunt died." said Michael. I turn around. "HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT! WHO TOLD YOU!" I said. "That's not important." said Michael. "JUST STAY OUT OF MY BUISNESS AND LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!!!" I said. I open the door and run outside to George's car, but Michael follows. "I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!" said Michael. I stop running and walk towards him. "NO YOU DON'T KNOW! MY AUNT IS DEAD I HUNG OUT WITH HER ALL THE TIME!" I said. "I know you're hurting right now. The pain will go away." said Michael. "No it won't." I said. "Yes it will." said Michael. "LOOK NERD, THE PAIN WON'T GO AWAY, IT NEVER WILL! MY MOM HAS TO LIVE WITH THE FACT THAT MY BABY BROTHER DIED RIGHT AFTER SHE GAVE BIRTH TO HIM!" I said crying. Michael is silent. "MY DAD LEFT ME AND MY MOM WHEN I WAS IN 2ND GRADE! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE MY OLDER SISTER IS I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE!" I said bawling my eyes out. "I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! MY MOM PUT ME UP FOR ADOPTION WHEN I WAS A NEWBORN. BUT A NICE, LOVING COUPLE WERE WILLING TO ADOPT ME! EVER SINCE I FOUND OUT I WAS ADOPTED I'VE BEEN SEARCHING HIGH AND LOW FOR MY BIRTH FAMILY!" said Michael. "Looks like we've both had a hard life." I said.

"Now that you said the truth out loud do you want to go back to who you were before?" said Michael. "Look nerd, just because I told you about my past doesn't mean I'm just going to be kind again." I said. "Why?" said Michael. "I hated being nice. Being nice didn't get me anywhere." I said. "But everyone liked you. Everyone wanted to be your friend." said Michael. "I'd rather be feared by everyone. And I don't need anymore friends." I said. "But...but." said Michael. "But nothing. Don't tell anybody what you just heard." I said. "What if I do tell people?" said Michael. "Then I will make your life a living hell." I said. "Fine." said Michael.

"There you are Lane. We've been looking all over for you." said Amy. I grab a hold of Michael's shirt, and whisper, "Don't tell anybody, are we clear?" "Crystal." said Michael. I let go of his shirt. "Lane is this nerd bothering you?" said George. "Want us to beat him up for you?" John, and Henry said in unison.
"What do you think you're doing talking to our girl nerd?" said Jane. I mouth the words 'You better not tell them about my past.'. "I told Lane to leave the Vipers, and go back to being her kind self again." said Michael. "Is that true Lane?" said John. "Yes, and I kept telling him that's not going to happen." I said. George, John, and Henry walk up to Michael. "Lane doesn't want to go back to being kind." said Henry. "And she's not leaving the Vipers." said John. "So leave Lane, and the rest of us alone." said George. "Is that a threat?" said Michael. George grabs Michael's shirt and raises his fist. "I can break your bones 5 different ways." said George. "George, he's not even worth it." I said. George lets Michael's shirt go. "You got lucky this time." said George.