Chapter Nineteen

Kevin

“Mariah” I screamed into the phone as soon as I heard the gun go off. Her words kept repeating over and over in my head. “Mariah, bae say something……..” I waited just knowing she would answer me, but she didn’t.

“Kevin…” Shem called my name, weakly. “How could you do this to me?”

“Ma’am! Miss I saw what happened.” A man’s voice came closer to the phone.  “Miss, I am a doctor, I will help you and call the police! Please, just stay with me.” He explained.

I  hung up the phone because I knew there was nothing left for me to do, but pray and wait to see if she pulled through. This wasn’t supposed to happen. I ordered the hit on August. Mariah never drives any of his cars, never. I swear I’ma kill this nigga man. How do you confuse a woman with man? He hit the wrong target, and now he owes me his life.

“Mariah, I really do love you.” I whispered to myself before doing the sign of the cross on my chest, as some sort of prayer.

August

“She must really be a child of God. The bullet hit her stomach, but didn’t touch any major organs, or the baby.As soon as she wakes up, she should be just the same. Now she will have some pain and swelling, but that is to be expected. I would like to put her on limited mobility, and have weekly appointments with her to make sure that she and the baby are fine.” Dr. Bown explained to me.

“Yes sir. So how long do you expect her to be out?” I looked over at the bed where Mariah was laying, peacefully resting.

“Although we can not give an exact day or time, she should be up and running today.” The doctor nodded his head at Mariah as she moved her fingers in her sleep. “Mr. Alsina, you have yourself a trooper.” He patted my shoulder, before walking out.

I looked down at the bed at her, and walked over to her side. Staring at the motionless body on the bed, I felt the tears start to form in my eyes. I can’t believe that I treated her this way. Johnae even told me that Ri was really trying to get Kevin to leave, but it really fucked with a nigga head to see another nigga in his spot.

“Hey August.” Adele came back into the room with her sweats on, and two to-go plates. “Here your food.” She placed my food on the table, and took her seat in the rocking chair next to her daughter’s bed.

“Thanks Mama A!” I nodded my head and looked inside of the bag at the shrimp plate with fries, and the Pineapple Big Shot she’d put in the bag. “You did me right.” I tried to smile, but I couldn’t. Hell I haven’t been happy for the past three days.

“You needed something for a lil pick me up.” She popped a shrimp in her mouth. “That’s why I told my husband to go to work today.”

For the past three days, Mariah’s parents, Keedy, and I have been on a sort of rotation. Anytime we leave, at least of person is here. Hell not even to go to the bathroom, which is in the room. When she wakes up, she gon know that we here for her. I’d be lying if I said I ain’t been hunting that bitch ass nigga Kevin down though. He got a show in Houma today, and I sure ‘nough set it up. He gon get got after his show.

“You know when you and Mariah got together, I didn’t really approve of you.” Mama A started the conversation. “But now, I love you like a son. The one I never had. I really love the way you love my child, but y’all have so much fucking drama.” She took me by surprise with her words, being that she wasn’t a big cursor.