Chapter Twenty One

August

“So you coming home tomorrow?” Ri asked me, whining. She was such a big ass kid.

“Yea Bae.” I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to ease some of the pain I have from a headache.

“Good. I miss your dick. I miss you too tho.” She laughed.

“Let me find out you using me.”  I smacked.

“August, you're slurring your words. The fuck wrong?” She smacked, automatically assuming I was gon off of something, not that she would be wrong.

“I’m good Mariah. I just got a lah headache.” I stood up from the sofa, and checked myself out in the mirror. I pulled up my pants a lil bit.

“August, you gotta make sure you are ok. I’m not playing with you. Scarring me and shit.” She smacked.

“Look Mariah, if you on some negative shit, I don’t need that before my show.” I dissed.

        This headache got me snapping on everybody, but I hope my wife ain’t take this shit too personal because the last thing I need is her mad at me.

“Yo Yung.” My nigga, Mannie, called out to me. “You want hit some of this shit before the show?” He took a hit of the blunt, and passed it to me.

“August are you serious? You gonna….You know what, nevermind. I keep telling you just because you young don’t mean shit can’t happen to you.” Mariah bucked on the other end of the phone.

“Man, Mariah you on some other shit tonight. I’ma hit you up later.” I ended the call and enjoyed the fat ass blunt in my hands.

“Iight August. You are up!” My manager yelled over to me.

        I nodded my head, passing Mannie back the blunt. I started towards the stage, and I felt like I was dreaming. I ain’t never had a high like this shit before. The alcohol already had me feeling good, but this shit had me on cloud nine.

        I got on stage, and started doing my routine from memory. Same shit every night, just a different city. As I began to perform ‘Numb’, I could hardly keep my balance, then it all went black.

Mariah

        Waking up from my sleep, abruptly, I checked my phone. I felt like something was wrong, and I couldn’t sleep. I looked at the alarm clock next to my bed and saw that it was three in the morning.         As soon as I pressed my home button, I saw about ten missed calls and a whole lot of text messages. I knew that something was off. I called Noonie back since she was who most of the calls came from.

“Mariah?” She called my name as soon as she answered the phone. The panic in her voice scared me.

“Nonnie what is it? What is it?” I panicked.

“It’s August. He fainted during his concert, and now he is in the hospital.” She spoke as calm as possible, but I could hear her voice cracking. It was so unlike Nonnie to cry, so I know it must be serious.

“Is he awake? Can I talk to him? Let me talk to him.” I urged her.

“You can’t right now, but I have a plane waiting for you at the Lakefront airport-”

“Why can’t I talk to him? He’s my husband. Put him on the phone!” I screamed.
“Mariah, he is in a coma!” She screamed back.

        I was at a loss for words. How could this be? My husband and I were finally back on good terms, and now he is in a coma. God couldn’t do this to me, right? He wouldn’t do this?