Chapter 2

Sam and I went from second period to lunch without being late. She insists that it was all my fault. I mean, sure it was my fault for being late, but she could've said we were standing at the door before the bell rang and we wouldn't have been counted late. We also wouldn't have met Lucas or gotten into that favor thing with Jennings.

"Why are you so quiet?" Sam asks as she sits down with her tray of food.

"Because my day just seems to be full of it."

"How is it 'full of it'?" she asks as if my pain amuses her.

"First, we were late to Croe's class, and were kicked out. Second, we met the most arrogant guy in the world, by the looks of it. Third, you got me to do a favor for the principal and become friends with the most arrogant guy in the world. Fourth, I forgot to do my English paper last night and ended up doing it last minute in a huge rush, which means I might get a C+ but might get a B. Fifth, Ms. Tucker lost the drawing I've been working on in art class. Sixth, I accidentally made the Mac computer freeze in class today during my presentation of my video project. Seventh, I got to the cafeteria late trying to fix the computer, leaving me with eating nothing. And who knows what else life has in store for me." I start to breathe for air. That was the longest thing I've said all day. I would pat myself in the back, but I'm too tired for that.

"Well, there's still food in the lunch line. Sure, the good stuff is gone, but there's still something. And something is better than nothing." I glance over at her tray filled with random nasty looking food. "Oh, right. You're a picky eater. So my ham and cheese sandwich with green beans, a banana, and chocolate milk don't appease you."

"Sandwich is too basic. I missed the pizza! Green beans aren't my favorite vegetable. Bananas somehow go bad to my stomach. And chocolate milk, well, I didn't want to go stand in line for just milk. Every other food option that I love is gone. Finished. Why don't they ever make enough food for the whole school?" I ask in agony. I'm going to be starving later, I know it.

"Dang, I think you need to take a break next period. I think you should like ask to go to the library during World History," Sam says with a slight smile on her face. I smile and nod slowly. History has never been my subject. I try to avoid it at all costs because it just doesn't speak to me as much as math and science do.

We walk through the door of Mr. Cortes' class. He seems really tired, so I might as well ask him right now.

"Mr. Cortes, may I please go to the library today? I really need to work on a project," I say using the words 'may I' instead of 'can I' because I know how teachers are with their sarcasm responses like, "I don't know, can you?"

"I'm not sure, Natalie. We've got to work on our journals today and read chapter 27 on our books." He looks like just thinking about all of the work makes him tired.

"Mr. Cortes, I've already worked on what the class is going to do today. I asked for it on Monday, remember?" I always ask my teachers for the work we're doing each week so I can be ahead of everyone and not stress over not doing something on time.

"Oh, that's right. Take the hall pass with you. I want you back before class ends," he says motioning at the clock near the board. I nod as I take the pass from his desk. Sam throws me two thumbs up as I head out the door.

<><><>

The rest of the day went by rather quickly. I start making my way to the locker to put up my books that I won't need until tomorrow. I totally forgot about Sam. She has athletics ninth period. I think I'm going to wait for her in my car.

Five minutes later, Sam puts her backpack in the back seat and sits in the passengers side.

"Took you long enough," I say once she closes her door.