Chapter 15.

"Well that's definitely an improvement from the last time I saw you two together. Has he remembered anything?" Lucy's eyes are hopeful.

I shake my head. "I don't think so, no."

She looks disappointed but looks back to me with surprise, realizing the scene she walked in on. "But...?"

I blush as a smile creeps up the edges of my mouth. "He says he still feels whatever was between us, he just doesn't know what brought him to feel that way, or how we got here."

"Well, that's something isn't it? It's better than before. That has to be a good sign. He's healing. I'm sure he'll recover."

I smile and let her hug me. "At this point, I'll take whatever I can."

She nods and turns to head back to the kitchen. Adrian seems to have regained his normal composure and he smiles at the two of us as we return. "So Mom, are you here to stay tonight?"

"Yes darling. I wanted to meet this nurse being sent over before I head back home for a while. I know Caroline has to get back to her life back home." She turns to me with a warm smile and earnest eyes. "Caroline sweetie, thank you for everything you've done for my son, both before and after his accident. I know you're probably anxious to get home and see your family. I've asked Elaine to get your flight booked for you to be able to return home tonight, and a car will be here this evening at 4."

I stand stunned at the news but nod in gratitude, forcing a smile. "Oh wow. Thank you Lucy. I appreciate that but you didn't have to. I'm happy to help."

Lucy turns to Adrian and touches his cheek gingerly. "I've got to run some errands, so I'll say goodbye now my dear. It's been lovely to finally meet you, and I'm sure this won't be the last time we see each other. Have a safe flight. I'll leave you two. Thank you dear."

She hugs me tight and then walks out of the apartment. I stand still, staring at the floor in surprise.

I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. I thought I had until tomorrow. When will I get to see him again?

I look up to see Adrian searching my face. "Caroline, I'm sorry I didn't know she was coming back. You don't have to leave if you don't want to. I think she just assumed you'd be ready to leave since I wasn't myself."

"It's ok. I know she's just trying to help. I probably do need to get back. I just wasn't ready yet. We were finally making some progress it felt like."

He gives me a smile and holds his hand out for me to come over to him. I reach out for it and let him pull me into his strong hold, his hands resting on my lower back. "Don't worry. I'll be fine, and once I'm back to normal, we can figure this thing out, ok?"

My eyebrows rise at his words. "Back to normal?"

"Healed physically, if nothing else."

I nod and look away. He leans in and kisses my cheek, gently rubbing his thumbs on my skin beneath the back of my shirt.

As I turn back to him, I see that he's watching me, studying my expressions. "What is it? What's wrong?"

He shakes his head, but doesn't look away. I shift at his attention. His hand reaches up to push my hair away from my face, tucking a stray strand behind my ear. "Nothing. I just wish I knew what you were thinking. I feel like I'm trying to put together a puzzle with only half of the pieces."

I look up and see sadness in his eyes. "We will be ok won't we?"

"Of course. I wouldn't let go of this for anything." He leans down and kisses me softly and releases me. I pry myself away with as much restraint as I can muster and head in to get ready to go. I pack my bag and then hop in the shower to freshen up. Before I go, I walk back into the living room where he's waiting on the couch for me.