Chapter 16.

I finish up for the evening and head into the restroom to freshen up. My hair is already in wavy bouncy curls and I pin it off one side, showing my neck and shoulder. I put on winged eyeliner and a little more eyeshadow to smoke out my look and make my eyes pop. With a final swipe of neutral pink lipstick, I slide into the barely there dress. The silk glides over my skin and I feel completely exposed.

I don't know how she expects me to pull this off. I feel ridiculous. She's going to owe me for this.

I step into my heels and throw on my cropped leather jacket before headed to the car. I make the drive to Ray's and walk in to see Emma, Luke, and his friends have already begun the party along with the rest of the bar's patrons.

"Caroline over here! Come on!" Emma runs over to get me and I notice that her dress is a red silk dress with lace trim at the neckline and around the back. The lace tapers about halfway down and the back is draped so low it make me feel exposed for her. She saunters up to the table with complete confidence and twirls me for the boys. "Look who's here! Car, get out of that jacket. You'll have a heat stroke in here with that thing on."

I smile but leave my jacket on, not quite ready to dive into my role just yet. I feel Luke's eyes on me along with his friends and I make my way to sit in between the two of them at the table.

Emma turns Luke's face to hers, planting a kiss on him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

One of Luke's friends nearest to him speaks first. "Hi, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you Caroline."

I offer a smile and give him my hand to shake, but he turns it to kiss instead. The other boy introduces himself as Nicholas. I shift uncomfortably as the two of them look at me, eyeing me up and down. Emma eyes me and gives an urging look.

Well, no time like the present I guess. Ugh she owes me so big. I hate this.

I shimmy out of my jacket and stand as the band plays the start of one of my favorite songs. "Ok boys. Who's going to dance with me?"

They all look at each other and Travis jumps up quickly, offering his hand. "Well I think I'll take this honor please ma'am."

I give him a flirtatious smile Nicholas curses at him jokingly. Looking back over my shoulder, I flash a smile before letting Travis lead me onto the dance floor.

He twirls me before pulling me in to a strong hold, swaying to the beat. "So, how come we haven't seen you out before with Emma?"

"Actually, I think I saw you with Luke the first time we met him. It was his first night back in town, but Emma had him pretty occupied for a bit." I shudder as I think of the later events of that night before pushing them out of my mind.

No. That's in the past and I have to just be supportive.

He feels me shudder and pulls me in closer, his hand rubbing across the exposed part of my back. "Well, I'm seeing you now, and I have to say, I like what I see."

I blush and look away as the song ends. I tactfully pull myself out of his hold and give him a smile. "I think I need a drink and to sit down for a bit. Do you mind?"

He smirks at me, winking. "Of course not. What would like Miss Caroline?"

I don't love the way he's eyeing me like I'm dinner, but what's the harm in letting him get me a drink. It's going to be a long night, and if I am going to make it through this, I'll need some liquid encouragement.

"A dirty martini please."

Travis and Nick take their turns twirling me around the floor and I give them my best flirting, against my better judgment.