Chapter 21.

The next few weeks fly by as we begin planning for the future. Adrian finishes up his research in the area, and begins preparation to head back to New York.

I hadn't thought it through that far. Where will we live? Adrian's business is in New York. I couldn't possibly make him move everything down here. That wouldn't be fair to him. I don't know how Mom's going to handle this. I moved down to be closer to her so she wouldn't be so lonely without dad. I don't know that she can handle my leaving again.

Adrian's touch brings me out of my head and I realize he's wrapped his arms around my waist.

He speaks lowly, genuinely. "I'm going to miss you so much. I don't remember what it's like to not see your gorgeous face every day. It won't be the same without you next to me every night."

"I wish you didn't have to go back so soon. There's still so much to figure out."

Adrian pulls away and sits down on the bar stool facing me across the counter. "Well let's figure it out. What are you working through?"

I shrug slowly. "Well, where will we live for one? And what am I going to do for work? How am I going to plan this wedding without you?"

Adrian gives me a soft smile and reaches for my hand. "Well, I've finished everything I needed to down here. I've stalled as long as I could, but it's time. I need to head back to New York to get back to work. My team has held it down as long as they could without me."

I take a moment before speaking, thinking through the thought of his leaving. "So we will be in New York then. Of course we would. Your entire company is there."

"Caroline, I know you don't want to leave your mom, but I don't know that I can be away from the business for such large lengths of time."

"No of course not. I know. I just don't know how I can leave her. The whole reason I came home was because she was so unhappy here alone without Dad. I don't know how she'll handle being alone again so soon." I shake my head dismissively, knowing he's right.

"I know this is a big deal. Maybe you should just go see what she thinks first. She might handle it better than you think."

I give him a tight smile. "You're right. I may actually do that today."

"As for where we will actually live, we can live in my place or we can find one that's ours. Whatever would make you happiest. For what you could do, you can finally work the job you want. You are marrying a very wealthy man after all. You can do whatever you want."

He smirks at me with the last sentence and I laugh before speaking. "Stop it. You know I need to work. I can't say I'm not ecstatic to get back into what I love. That really would be amazing to find something in design again."

"And as far as the wedding goes, there's no rush. You can plan it whenever and wherever you want. Whatever you want babe. I'll be covering the bill, so there's nothing stopping you there. But you just have to decide where you want to have it. If you're planning it here, I will try and be back as often as I can to help."

I walk over and wrap my arms around his neck before giving him a loving kiss. "Thank you for everything you're doing for this. I feel like it's too much though."

"Nothing is too much for you. Whatever you want. I mean it." He squeezes my hip and gives me a quick kiss. "Did that help?"

"I guess the only thing hanging still is my mom. I'll go see her now. I love you Adrian."

He smiles and flashes a loving look. "I love you too."

I head over to my mom's house and let myself in. I hear a muffled sound from my mom's room. As I walk over to the door, I realize she's crying. I turn away from the door but hear her coming to open it.