Chapter 20.

When we pull up to the cozy Italian restaurant, I notice that the parking lot is empty. Adrian helps me out of the car and we walk in to a dimly lit room. Every surface is draping in candlelight. A young man greets us and ushers us to a table in the center of the room, covered with red rose petals and lit by candlelight.

As I sip the wine poured in front of me, I shake my head at Adrian. "Adrian, this is incredible. How did you do all of this?"

He smirks and his eyes are playful. "I'll never reveal my secrets Miss Carmichael. So you like it? It's not too much?"

"It's the perfect amount of too much. It's beautiful in here."

Adrian looks at me with longing in his eyes. "Yes it is."

I blush and my eyes flutter away as I sip on my wine. The food arrives and it is delicious. As we eat, we both discuss everything from life, our favorite memories, and favorite books and movies. The conversation slowly turns to the future and I feel the seriousness set in.

Adrian looks over to me and his face is thoughtful, serious. "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

I pause to think on it before answering. "You know, I'm honestly not sure. It's been so crazy since I left the city that I have just been trying to get through life here. I am really enjoying my job right now, but I can't say I'd want to be doing it 5 years from now. Part of me is still so sad to not be able to work in design, or at least with a brand. Who knows, maybe it will change, but right now I don't have an answer."

I look up to meet his eyes before asking. "What about you? What do you think your life will be like in, let's say, five years?"

He lingers for several moments before looking back with a look full of love. "I'd like to be married, and potentially starting a family."

I swallow hard as I absorb what he's saying.

Is he saying he wants that with me? I've never seen him like this. He's been serious with me before, but there's something else behind those eyes.

"I could see that. A lot can happen in five years."

He reaches across the table and tenderly grabs my hand, stroking the back of my knuckles. "I'd like that person to be you Caroline."

My eyes widen and I feel my heart jump into my throat.

"Caroline, I know without a shadow of a doubt that you're the woman for me. You're strong and confident. You're beautiful from the inside out, and you make me want to be a better man for you. You're someone who can be a partner to me through every step of my life, and what's better, is that I can see myself being that for you as well. You're truly the most incredible woman I've ever met." Adrian steps out of his seat and sinks down to the floor on his right knee, taking both of my hands in his to face him straight on.

I struggle to slow my breathing and listen to what he's saying, fighting to slow my heart. "Oh, Adrian..."

"I know it hasn't been very long since we met, but from the very start, I've felt connected to you so deep into my soul that I don't think I could ever let you go. I know what I feel, and I know you feel it for me too. You are the woman I will love for the rest of my life. Would you do me the incredible honor of marrying me?" His voice is smooth but authentic.

I feel as if time has stopped, with just the two of us sitting in this moment. Tears begin to well up in my eyes and thoughts begin to race in my mind. "Oh Adrian, I don't know what to say."

"Say yes." He looks into my eyes, hopeful, nervously stroking my hands.

He pulls out a small velvet box and opens it to reveal a large cushion cut diamond ring with halo diamonds surrounding the center stone and cascading down the sides.