Chapter 7.

I walk through the front door of my mom's house to see Emma sitting on the couch waiting for me.

Your mom is talking when she sees me, stopping to smile warmly. "Oh, hello sweetie! Where have you been all day? It's nearly dinnertime. I didn't know what your plans were, but Emma says you two are going out again tonight."

I walk in and sit down on the chair across from Emma and smile at them both. "Well, I was at the new condo complex over across the river and loved it so much I went ahead and grabbed the last unit. The movers will be here tomorrow."

"Oh my gosh Caroline, those are really nice! But why wouldn't you want one closer in town like me? There are plenty of places for sale." Emma pouts playfully.

"These just reminded me of New York a little I guess, and I wanted to keep a little bit of home."

Emma's brows furrow. "You are home Car. What are you talking about?"

I wince and realize you blurted it out without thinking. I look over and my mom has looked away.

My mom speaks smoothly, not drawing attention to her sad expression. "Would you girls like anything to eat?"

I give a thankful smile. "Sure mom, I'm starving."

My stomach rumbles and I realize I haven't eaten since breakfast. I inhale my dinner and then head onto the porch with Emma to chat. I walk over and sit in the swing, propping one leg up in complete contentment.

Emma eyes me suspiciously. "So what were you really doing all day? I heard you were at lunch with Adrian."

My mouth drops, but I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Nothing stays a secret in this town. "Yes, I was with him."

She leans forward in interest. "I need to know everything! What happened? Why were you together? Did he say anything about me?"

I laugh at her confidence and shake my head. "Well, I actually knew Adrian from New York. We met right before I left."

Emma stares at me in disbelief. "Hold on. Go back to the beginning. Tell me how you know Mr. Moneybags?

I'm not ready to share that moment with anyone just yet. It's just for the two of us, private. "I met him out during my last night in the city. I had no idea he'd be here until I turned and saw him standing on the dance floor last night. When I was looking at my condo, he happened to be in the one next door, so he asked if I wanted to grab lunch with him."

"Well no wonder you wanted to live all the way over there. I can't blame you. We should go over there right now and see what he's up to."She flips her hair and shimmies, laughing. "So, what happened with Luke after Ray's? You never told me!"

Heat rises up my cheeks, and I suppress the memory of Luke's forceful kiss and touch.

Emma notices my reaction and scoots forward, eyeing me. "Oh my God, what happened? You have to tell me now. I can't tell if you're blushing or mad."

I shake my head and try to suppress the anger welling inside of me. "It was nothing Emma. He just got carried away. He didn't mean it."

Her face changes to one of realization. "So, mad. Didn't mean whaaatttt?" she whined.

I recount the events to Emma leading up to meeting her and Adrian outside of Ray's.

She sits thoughtfully and then flashes a glance up at me. "Huh. Well, he is a whole lot of man. Are you sure you didn't lead him to think he could have you? You two were getting pretty frisky on the dance floor."