Chapter 14.

I wake up in a haze, remembering the night of recalling memories. Adrian listened intently, asking questions and trying to work through the moments. I recalled every intimate detail, every single moment that made the two of us fall for each other. When I finally finished, he looked up to me with a look of sadness that nearly broke my heart.

--Night Before--

Adrian eyes me with sadness. "Caroline, I'm sorry you're carrying this alone. You're right, we were definitely in love, or nearly there. I know I feel it when I touch you, but I never could have imagined all of that. I just wish I remembered it."

I reach over and place my hand on his. "Don't worry, you will."

"Maybe." He says it so lowly, I have to strain to hear. "The doctor said I may never recover all that I've lost, but they hope for the best, for a full recovery. What if I don't remember?"

His face is one of sadness and regret. He is searching frantically trying to connect the missing pieces and failing.

I give him a sad smile and squeeze his hand. "Then I'll just have to remember for the both of us."

--

On the other side of the bed, Adrian is lying outside of the covers, still dressed. We must have passed out after a night of drinking and trudging through the pain.

Please. Please remember me.

He feels me shift and his eyes slowly open, looking into my eyes. He gives me a warm smile and my cheeks flush before speaking. "Good morning."

"I'm sorry I crashed in here. I couldn't manage to get up and I just wanted to rest my eyes for a minute."

I smile and roll over on my side to look at him. "Well, it is your bed, so it's only fair."

"There's actually another room on the other side of the kitchen. I just couldn't manage the energy or stability to get over there."

I sit up and reflexively push his shoulder. He winces and my eyes go wide. "I'm sorry, are you ok?"

"I'm fine. Just a little tender still. What was that for?" He shoots me a small smile.

"Why did you let me stay in here? I would have gone to that room had I known. This is your room Adrian. You should've been in here the whole time."

He shrugs and smirks at me. "Maybe I liked having you in my room."

My stomach flutters and I look away.

He pauses, speaking thoughtfully. "Why do you do that?"

I look back at him, surprised. "Do what?"

"You always look away from me, like you're embarrassed or shy. But you're not shy I don't think."

You shrug and hold his gaze. "I'm not really sure. I guess I feel nervous when you look at me the way you do sometimes, or the way you used to." He winces at my past tense and I hurry to complete my sentence. "I'm not used to getting attention and I think it's just a habit that has stuck in defense."

"How could you not be used to attention? Look at you. You're the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on, and your eyes can send any man over the edge."

I blush and my eyes flutter down without realizing. "It's not that I think I'm unattractive. I am very comfortable with who I am. I'm just used to other girls, more forward girls, getting the attention. I tend to be a more subdued personality, and most men interpret that as disinterest. It doesn't help that my best friends are vivacious and confident women. I'm just used to it, and it's fine."