End of the Road

Kiwi was the only reason I was not dead I thought with a smile.

Her tail was wrapped tightly around the prison bars in the wagon.

I watched as she snuck her mischievous little head into the satchel of one of the soldiers.

A second later she came back with a block of cheese. She set it down in front of me and waited as I split it in half.

She was an overgrown garden snake honestly. No venom, no triangle head or weird wing head things. Just a sweet little acid spitting fire-breathing mischievous little snake.

Don’t ask me where she came from because the best answer I have is my room.

She took the other half of the cheese and did the same wrap around the bar thing stick your head out move, only difference being this time she chucked the other half of the cheese at Alexanders head with a jerk of her neck.

Amazing aim truly as it hit him right between the eyes.

He woke up with a start a stream of curses gliding down his tongue. I was laughing like a mad woman by the time he was done.

Kiwi seemed to think it was funny too because she tried throwing a rock next.

“GAH! Kiwi! Stop it right now or- is that cheese? Did your snake seriously throw cheese at me?! What happened to leaving it in my lap or next to me?!” Alexander fussed.

I only laughed harder.

The soldiers or guards or whatever the heck they were didn't even glance at us. Morons.

We had been in the cages for weeks- they let us out twice a day.

Alexanders cage was only a few feet away from me so we could see each other well enough and got to hold hands. Thanks to Kiwi we didn't have to live off of a half meal a day they gave us.

We traveled along the shoreline. Dangerous cliffs and thick forests. It was funny truly, they weren’t even trying to make it a mystery of how to get back for whenever we broke out.

I knew where we were going. I told myself over and over not there. But I couldn't get the flashback out of my head. Stone walls. Partys. Wars. Cells. Cold lonely cells of silver.

I chased the thought from my mind and ate my cheese.

“OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- What do you do with a drunken pirate, what do you do with a drunken pirate, whhhhhhaaaaaaat do you with a drunnnnnken pirrrrate eeeeaaaarly in the marn’in!!!” Alexander started singing as loud as he could for the hundredth time today shooting grins at me all the while. Even after the eight time, it was funny. I joined along in the off-tune song, the soldiers paid us no attention. All the better for our songs.

At some point, the wagons stopped to let us out. The best way they had to control us was each other. They would open the cages and we would have to turn around while they put silver chains on our wrists and a knife over our throat and slowly backed us out at the same time.

The soldiers were always….. silent. Like they never talked or laughed or sang. If not from the hatred they had toward Kiwi I would think them to be…….. ghosts almost.  

They walked us down to the shoreline, they removed my chains and shoved me into the water. An opportune time to run right? Nope. Already tried it and now had a dagger wound in my arm. Duly they had four archers point arrows at Alexander.

Alexander had his usual “I’ll kill all of you slowly.” look as they watched me with stone faces and unreadable emotions while I washed up as well as I could in the salty water.