CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12

All of us sit at dinner. Peeta, Haymitch, Effie, the prep team and I. We silently eat our food and the occasional clinks and bangs of silverware and glasses echo through the room. I feel there is something wrong because Effie and the prep team are always talking. Something must be bugging them. I still don't speak. Peeta looks like he has no clue what is going on either. We glance at each other a couple times and quickly go back to scooping, stabbing, and cutting our food. A weird mood has been injected in the room. After 15 minutes of no talking, I get the courage to speak up.

"What's wrong? You guys all seem bothered."

Effie puts down he silverware and swallows her food before talking.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just a little event coming up. Thinking is happening at this table."

"What kind of event, Effie?" Peeta pipes in.

"There is a remaining victors get together next week and many changes we have to do for both of you guys before then."

"A Victors get together? What kind of get together?" I interrupt before she can start a new sentence.

"It is kind of like the victors banquet you had at President Snow's place, but more planned and sophisticated."

"Oh." I say.

"What do Katniss and I need to do?"

"Well, Katniss dear, don't take this the wrong way, but she needs a lot of beauty treatments and learning to do the activities they are planning. Peeta, you need a quick touch up and to learn the activities also. I assume you catch on fast."

I sulk as I saw my beef.

"I think Katniss is fine the way she is. Anyways, what activies are there?" Peeta says.

Effie pauses to take a sip from her exquisite glass of red wine and continues.

"There is ballroom dancing, speaking, interviews, some fun games, a mini Hunger Games with dart guns, fan signings and much more! I have it all planned out for you guys!"

Peeta looks at me and I looks at him. Then we continue on with our food like nothing happened.

((THE NEXT DAY))

I wake to a pillow thrown in my face.

"Get up sweetheart, it's time for your first lessons!"

Haymitch.

"Ughhh!"

"Don't complain to me! Get up!"

He leaves and slams the door. I get in sweat pants and a tee shirt, quickly put my hair in a messy bun and walk down stairs. Nobody awaits me there. I close my eyes to yawn and stretch my arms up. I hear giglgling and I open my eyes questioningly. Effie and the prep team is at the bottome of the stairs laughing at me.

"Good morning to you too, guys."

"Since I suspect you have NO talent in dancing, we shall begin there today. Oh and yes, good morning."

Way to make me feel special this morning.

They bring me to this empty room with mirrors lining the walls. A dance room I never knew this place in the capitol had. They have me take off my shoes and follow simple movements. Piece of cake. Then, Effie shows me moves timed to the music.

"1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4"

I follow as best you can. Ballroom dancing sure involves a lot of spinning.

"So far so good! Don't worry, it will be easier with a partner."

"Mmkkay. Thanks."

She continues on the beat of 4 and I follow readily. Effie is an expert at dancing! What a surprise.

"Okay Katniss, now I am going to be your partner and you are going to lead me dancing. Don't worry about the dips, the men worry about that part. You put your hands around my neck and I put my hands on your waist. Remember what we practiced. Ready .... GO!"

I begin to start the steps I had practiced and I look down at my feet. I think 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 in my head. Suddenly, I step on Effie's foot.

"Sorry!"

"That's alright dear, practice makes perfect. Continue on!"

I continue the dance and spin underneath Effie's arm. This is fairly easy. Soon, what she showed me is over and she begins to show me how to dip down. The first time I dip down, I lean back too far and fall on the floor. I laugh it off and get it next time.

"Well done Katniss! You are learning quicker than I thought! Your time is up ballroom dancing and the next practice is a special talent .... for real this time, honey ..... so rest up before you go!"

"Alright. Thanks Effie!"

I put on my shoes and run quickly back to my bedroom and fall asleep on the bed. Weeeeeee. I get to find a 'talent' of mine that I don't have.