Jack

For briannamay4

~Jack's POV~

I watched. I watched as people shoved her into lockers and knocked her books on the floor. I watched as she walked home, her head hanging low, ignoring the world.

I was her neighbor, and I watched how her parents would pull her in the house by her hair.

I noticed.

I noticed the bruises on her body in the shape of hands, sometimes. I noticed how her smile is so fake towards the teachers. I've noticed the hurt in her eyes when she glances my direction. I've noticed how she stopped trying to talk to people. I've noticed how she thinks nobody cares, but I do.

She's absolutely beautiful.

Even when tears are threatening to escape.

I want to talk to her, to be the one who makes her happy, but I'm such a pussy and I don't even know where to start.
I cant just walk up and say 'Hi I'm Jack Avery and I've watched people treate you like shit and did nothing about it'

I rolled my eyes at myself and looked up to see her, closing her locker.

She shakilyran a hand through the hair that wasn't covered by the beanie.

"Hey loser" Brad yelled, throwing a balled up piece of paper at her.

I clenched my jaw and tried to ignore it.

Don't lose your shit, Jack. You've seen much worse things happen to her.

Maybe that's why I should stand up for her, now, put an end to all of the hurtful things.

"Why don't you just leave her alone?"
I spoke up and he turned to look at me, confused.

"Are you sticking uo for her, Avery?" He questioned and I nodded my head

"Yeah, I am. I'm tired of seeing everyone treat her poorly and nobody ever does anything about it. Instead you all join in on it." I crossed my arms.

"You don't have to do this. People are gonna hate you. I will be fine" She forced her lips into a half smile and I shook my head.

"No, I do"

Oh my god, I'm actually talking to her.

"She's a freak. Do you not see all of the bruises?" He questioned and her face drained of color.

"So? What about it? Maybe it's not her fault she has them. Maybe I should give YOU a bruise or 2 and see if everyone messes with you" I clenched my fists and he out his hands up

"Whatever bro"He mumbled and walked away.

" I-I have to go" She stuttered and took off outside, probably heading home.

I went to my locker, collecting the things I needed and headed home.

By the time I got there, ai saw her parents car wasn't there so I knocked on the door, to check on her.

No answer.

I immediately became a little worried.
I went up to my room and sighed, seeing her legs on her bed through the window.

Our houses were close together, our rooms were directly across from each other.

"Brie" i called out the window.

No answer.

I climbed out my wimdow and jumped on the roof of her house.

I was worried, I didn't know what she could've done to herself.

Her window was open so I just peeked my head in to see her, sleeping.

I sighed out of relief, and then noticed she had fuzy cat like ears on her head and a tail, the same color wrapped over her leg.

"Brie" I spoke, trying to wake her up.

She shot uo, alarmingly and looked around.

"Calm down, it's uh, just Jack. Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were okay." I tried to soothe her and she went under her blankets.

"Oh god, you saw" She groaned.

"Uh yeah, but I'm not gonna tell anyone or anything. Im not even sure what I saw." I shrugged and she came out but they were gone.

"I'm a Cat hybrid" She sighed and I smiled

"May I?" I asked and she nodded.

I climbed in her window and sat on the bed next to her.

"Can you show me?" I asked and she shrugged.

I watched as she shifted a bit, ears and a tail growing.

I touched them lightly and smiled.

"They're beautiful" I began and she looked up, to meet my eyes.

"You're beautiful" I smiled again and she looked down, her cheeks heating up.

"Where are your parents?" I asked after a while.

"Uh they left, they moved to some place in Ohio" She shrugged and my jaw dropped.

"They left you here?!" I asked and she looked around.

"Yeah, it's probably better this way"

"Come on" I grabbed her hand and helped her out the window and into my room.

"My mom and dad travel for work, they won't mind. You arr staying with us" I spoke softly, pulling her into a tight hug.

I've wanted ti touch her, comfort her, for so long. This confidence came out of nowhere.

"I couldn't-"

"You can." I smiled and laid on the bed, gesturing for her to side beside me as I turned on the Tv.

"Is this okay?" I whispered as I out my arm around her and she nodded. Leaning into me.

I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and smiled.

This giro that I have been studying for years is in my room, with me.

Safe.

For the first time I've know about her.