SasoDei fanfic epilogue {This Love}

Epilogue

He never did come back.

For six years, I sat on that porch, waiting.

We'd sent letters. They eventually became less frequent, he'd told me it was getting difficult, and I'd admitted to my depression. Then the day came when his letters stopped altogether. I still wrote every day. I'd hoped maybe his letter had gotten stuck, but after a year I realized he'd simply never wrote at all. I'd still hoped he simply wasn't able to send me a note, but when another year passed by I realized that wasn't the case.

I'd realized he wasn't coming home.

I'd realized he was gone.

Some years later people had come to excavate land for their housing, and had found ours. They'd decided to build not far from ours, and soon we became friends. It was a man and a woman. They neared with them an infant. A redhead named Izumi. She was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen...

I was happier. But my heart missed my lover. I built him a sort of grave, a place I could go to talk with him, give him flowers... I wrote notes and placed them upon the stone. It always seemed as though they'd be gone the next day, taken by the wind, perhaps? Oh, but I missed him terribly. Before Izumi and her parents moved in, I'd always see a red cardinal that always sat by my window. It'd appeared shortly after the letters had ceased, and as quickly as it came, it left.

I watched Izumi grow into a beautiful young girl, watched her flourish, watched her age, call me a part of her family... She never ceased to make me smile. Eventually, she grew older, as did I. My leg bothered me more and more as the years slipped away, and eventually I could barely walk at all. I suppose that is the case when you get old; a nimble body and a sleeping mind trade places. Izumi eventually left the home to embark on her own journey. I'd given her only advice to take with her, wishing her well. She'd left with a hug and a smile upon her face... I'd hated to see her go, her red hair disappearing through the trees...

It reminded me of something, or someone, I should say...

She'd visit every winter.

She kept me going.

Eventually, I became at ease with the passing of my Danna... I'd realized that, as he'd said, 'there are no forks in the path'... I'd realized that he'd always be with me. He'd never really left, for I had his heart, as he had mine. He might've taken mine with him when he left, but eventually as I aged, I'd realized his heart had always been big enough.

I'd realized, somewhere along the lines, that even though life may be fleeting, it's eternal in the hearts of those you love, and who love you.

I'd never stopped loving Sasori, for even on my dying breath, his name was the only sound uttered, alongside a promise I'd soon see him once more...

Fin.

((I HOPE YOU LIKE IT ;- ; ILY ALL SM ASDFGHJKL))