HW: Part Thirteen

Robbie was out warning people about the gravitational anomalies when the first one happened.

He and his mom were out handing out pamphlets, like yesterday but without the Northwests, and trying to get people to listen to them. No one did. Robbie honestly couldn't blame them — as far as they remembered, they'd never seen anything out of the ordinary, and now a crazy family comes out and claims that the end times are coming. Robbie wouldn't listen either.

"Good job, Mom," he said bitterly, as the sun switched from ascending to descending, "your fun little group that keeps people safe has done such a good job that nobody will listen when they're actually in danger."

Well, that didn't go over well. They bickered for a while — usually, Dad was the go between that kept Robbie and Janice from exploding at each other. But he was out with a bunch of other Order members, trying to stop the Pines from getting fuel for their portal. The idea of his own father going up against Mr. Pines freaked Robbie out. What would happen? Who did he want to win?

Eventually, the need to hand out all their pamphlets and spread the word as far as possible overcame Robbie and Janice's argument. They went back to the drudgery: walking around town, pulling people aside, trying to keep their attention as long as possible as they explained the gravitational anomalies. Word had spread fast — but not about the gravitational anomalies. No, the word that had spread was the Corduroys going crazy.

When the sun had nearly disappeared entirely behind the mountains, Wendy Valentino showed up with a scowl and some hot cocoa. "I've decided that you're crazy," she declared, holding out a thermos.

"Yeah, well, so has everyone else," Robbie grumbled. He accepted the thermos but didn't drink from it. "But I'm not crazy, Wen."

"That's what all the crazy people say."

He raised his eyebrows and shrugged a little. "Can't argue with that. And there's a chance it might not happen, but I'm pretty sure it'll happen. Today, probably."

"What's 'it,' Robs? My little brother told me you were spouting off about gravity going all weird."

Robbie didn't ask which little brother. Wendy had three, but she hated talking about anything to do with her family. Robbie was her escape from them; he wasn't supposed to bring them up. "Well, yeah, that pretty much sums it up," Robbie said. "Gravitational anomalies. Gravity disappearing or changing directions. We have a pamphlet — it'll explain what you need to do when they start." He held one out hopefully.

She gave him a cynical, judgmental look. But, to his relief, she took the pamphlet. Probably just to be a good girlfriend. "Thanks, Wen," he said. He took his first sip of the hot chocolate in his hand. "Oh, that's really good."

"Don't think this means I believe you," she warned. "Not unless these gravitational animals or whatever actually. . . What was that?"

Robbie felt it too. Suddenly everything was. . . lighter. The soreness in his feet lessened, and it felt like he was about to float away.

He fought down the urge to freak out. "This is it, everyone!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. "Don't panic! Stay as still as you can! It should be over soon!"

His admonition to not panic came too late, though — people were already panicking plenty. In feeling weightless, people had thrashed around in alarm, and in null gravity, the smallest movement sent them floating up from the ground.

"Robbie! Robbie, do something!" Wendy was slowly floating upwards too. Robbie wanted to grab her, but what if that sent him flying too? He just had to ride it out. He hoped it'd be over quickly.