35

The doorbell rang and Jae did them the favor of opening the door. It was Arin.

"You didn't leave Korea?" Jae asked astonished to see her standing in front of him. He gave her a brief hug without realizing it. "And you can walk now!!"

"Yeah two weeks of therapy helped a lot."

"I'm happy you recovered fast. I'm so sorry again."

She nodded to acknowledge his apology, "I'm leaving tomorrow. I wanted to say my final goodbye."

"Come in." He stepped aside for her but she refused.

"I came here for a reason so  I don't want to waste any time." She said and cleared her throat to muster up the courage.

"What's up?" Jae asked waiting for her to speak.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?" She asked quickly and dropped her head to avoid looking at him.

"Uh.. I mean.. This is so unexpected." Jae scratched his temple and was stalling because he didn't know how to bluntly reject her.

"That's why I asked if you were dating... I wanted to know if you were single-"

"I am single but I don't think I want to be in a.. relationship." He said the last word quietly, feeling guilty.

She sighed. "To think that I quit my job to do this."

"You quit your-" His eyes widened. "What?! You quit to date me??"

"It's fine, I'm gonna leave now. If you change your mind, let's meet at 2 at the same place we ate the first time I met you guys." She walked off without giving him a chance to speak.

He just stood there thinking of what to do. He had less than 4 hours to make up his mind.

--

"What should I do?" He asked Brian after telling him about it. "I feel bad to reject her but then again I don't want to lead her on."

"Just be honest and tell her how you feel Jae."

"How I feel??"

"Yeah that you like Jimin but you guys haven't made it official yet."

"UGH." Jae stormed out of the room instead of arguing with him.

"Hyung come back!!" Brian yelled but got ignored. He shrugged his shoulders and went back to what he was doing.

Jae sat in the living room staring into space for a good hour before reaching for his phone. He was going to call and let Arin know he wasn't going.

However, he dialed Jamie's number instead.

"What's up?"

"I'm going on a date right now." He said.

"Okay?" She laughed. "And?"

"You're not bothered?"

"Why should I?" She paused for a while. "Jae sweetie I have better things to do with my life right now so don't call me whenever you please. Goodbye."

"Wait- don't cut it!" He pleaded. "Should I go?"

"If you want to. Why are you taking permission from me??" She laughed again, then gasped. "Don't tell me- you like me??" She asked dramatically.

Usually Jae would immediately say he didn't but this time it felt as if he was just denying what was true. After a few seconds, he said: "I do not."

"Why'd you even have to think about it??"

"I was thinking of something else."

"Look, I told you before. Me and you are no no."

"As if I want that." He scoffed. "You can cut it."

"You sound sulky..."

"I'm not. Bye."

He cut the call after hearing her laugh for a while. He walked back to the room to pick out an outfit.

"I'm gonna go." He told Brian.
—-
Jae walked into the restaurant and spotted Arin sitting in the far back. She waved and he smiled.

His goal was to tell her he wasn't ready for a relationship and he only came out of courtesy.

"You came!!" She exclaimed excitedly as he sat across her.

"I don't think I'll be able to eat." He quickly said setting the mood to be able to break it to her.

"Why'd you come then?" Her countenance changed.

"I'm not ready for a relationship-"

"Is that really it or you don't just like me?"

His gaze met hers and once again he felt so guilty. "Look, I don't want to do anything out of pity. Plus it's long distance."

"I was gonna stay if you didn't reject me but I understand." She said, already clutching her purse to stand up and leave.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to make you sad but I also don't want to start anything I'm not up for."

"It's fine, I appreciate you being honest." She said and stood up. "Let me walk away first so that it's less embarrassing for me."

Jae smiled and nodded. "I hope you have a safe flight to LA."

"Thanks."

"If it's okay with you, I'll text you sometimes??"

"It's fine with me, I don't think it'll be fine with her if you do it often."

"Huh? Who?"

"Jimin." She said and smiled. "Goodluck with your music and Day6." She gestured for a handshake and he complied.

Jae sat there quietly for a while. He took his phone and called Jamie again.

"Do you want to eat with me?"

About thirty minutes later, she walked into the restaurant and went to his table.

"I only came because I'm hungry." She said settling in a chair beside him.

He smiled. "Of course."

"What happened to your date?"

"She dumped me and left."

"That's good. Let's order, I'm starving."

Jae just smiled with heart eyes and watched her read through the menu and raise her hand for waiter to attend to them.

-

thanks for reading!!