Chapter 37 - Tell me and I'm not yours

A/N: This will be the last chapter. I will add an epilogue. But THIS IS IT. I realle-really hope you like it.

Chapter 37 - Tell me and I’m not yours

I didn’t get to witness what Evan had texted him. It was private. Instead I left the gym, but with a smile on my face, which I thought was impossible. Howard did mention that Evan had been acting a little strange around him. I assured him it was fine, that maybe Evan was going through something. He was a little hesitant, because Evan was his best mate, and he’d tell him everything, to which I said, some secrets aren’t for sharing, and that sometimes, you also needed good timing to tell someone something, like me and him.

He agreed.

So I returned to Art class. The teacher was kind of glad that Howard had turned me down, but she didn’t know what had happened, how great everything had gone, how he and I were friends and I was totally fine with it.

I had managed it, and I doubted if I even needed to talk to Evan. I had let go of Howard, sort of. He was still the boy I had dated and liked so much, he was still my friend, and he was still awesome. I thought about taking a step back, to let Evan and Howard figure it out themselves. Evan had already been put in a weird situation; it was hard to tell your best friend your feelings. Heck, I knew how hard it was, how uncomfortable – I had wondered if Joe had feelings for me, or I for him.

Everything was perfect and that day my painting was the best I’d ever done. I borrowed some of the blue paint Howard had with him in the gym. He was okay with it, and in the class, I had to borrow it for some of the other students too. Not many of them needed it, only three, and the blue didn’t play a big part of anyone’s painting; a drop was all that was needed.

I couldn’t hold back my happiness. I told Joe that it was fine between Howard and I. He was glad to hear that. After school, he mentioned something about a date with some girl. I raised my eyebrow to that.

“Give me a name,” I told him.

His cheeks flushed, but he finally said her name out loud: “Alexa.”

That was the cool girl with the blonde hair and light brown highlights.

“I approve,” I smiled and hugged him.

We decided to have a girls’ night out with Jenna. It was school night, so we couldn’t watch movies all night, but we didn’t need to. I was okay with talking to her and eating good food. Mom was home, too. She was watching TV in the living room, when Jenna arrived. We went straight to the kitchen, where I had baked some muffins with chocolate chips. Jenna filled our glasses with lemonade.

I sat across from her, placing the plate with the muffins on the kitchen counter.

“This is the life, isn’t it?” she said as she took a bite from the muffin, her eyes closed. “Only, I think we need to cover up all the mirrors.”

I laughed. “We could buy the ones that show us really skinny all the time,” I replied, still giggling. Despite my horrible cooking skills, with my mom’s help, this time I had really made it – these muffins were amazing.

“Whatever, I think I have too much sugar in my bloodstream that the caring part of my brain has shut down, or maybe given up,” she said, her mouth stuffed with muffin. She took a sip of her soda, and after she’d swallowed, she continued: “So, you spoke to Howard.”

I nodded, because I didn’t want to speak with my mouth full.

“And you two are friends now, right?” she interrogated me further.