"When will I see you again?"

Our road trip didn't end until the end of the day. Connor drove the whole way since I wasn't programmed to operate a car. I wondered if anyone was missing him and me. Maybe they were thinking we have been kidnapped again? Or maybe Anderson and Brent knew about Connor's plan? I didn't dare to ask him again where he was taking me, but from the signs at the side of the road I knew we are driving in the direction of Jacksonville.

Connor and I rarely talked while we were on the trip. I did tell him how emotions flooded my mind and body and how I managed to act emotionless ever since the kidnapping. I told him everything I didn't tell anyone else. I still wasn't 100% convinced that he was on my side, but as we sat alone in the car, I just had the urge to tell someone my story. If he does betray me, at least he knows me and my small legacy.

As he drove, I watched him. The way his eyes focused on the street in total concentration was very intriguing and fascinating to see. He was still wearing his usual uniform with his grey jacket; the same one I had at home after one of my kidnappers gave it to me. Sometimes I wonder whether this Connor could be considered the same Connor that made friends with me; the same one who visited me at Carolina's school and the same one who told me I was not going to get harmed as we sat in the van of our kidnappers. This Connor may have the same memories, but was he truly him?

"Could you please stop staring at me, Scarlet?", Connor said, not taking his eyes from the road.

"Of course.", I answered, slightly offended.

"It's not that I don't like you looking at me, but it minimizes my focus on the road to 70%.", he replied. I was distracting him, just as he did me; this is interesting since I'm the only one with the emotions.

I can't help but to smile as I looked out of the window. I saw the sun going down behind a dark forest. But long after this, Connor drove the car into a small road that lead right into the forest. I still didn't know and was about to ask where we were heading, when we suddenly stopped at a tiny cottage at the side of the street that seemed like control station. A woman in her late 20s walked to our car just as Connor rolled down his window.

"I contacted you a while ago.", he said to the woman, who was inspecting both me and him thoroughly, "I'm Connor and this is Scarlet."

"Are you both or just her?", she asked in a monotone voice.

"Only Scarlet is deviant.", he replied. She looked at us in a strange way. Maybe she thought it was unusual that a normal-functioning android was bringing a Deviant here, whatever this here was. I wonder how she would look at us if she knew Connor was a deviant hunter.

"Then only she can enter.", she said, "Only Deviants are allowed inside the town." A town full of deviant? I had never heard about anything like that before.

Connor simply nodded, as if he suspected this would happen. As we both exited the vehicle to say goodbye, the woman went inside the station again, arranging transportation for me.

As I didn't move, being insure what to do and slightly scared of the dark woods we were in, Connor made his way towards me. He took both of my hands into his and looked down at me. It was dark, but I could see his face clearly. If I didn't know he wasn't deviant, his worried and sad expression on his face made him look far too human-like.

"You will be safe here.", he said in a quiet calm voice, "You will be hid here until you are relocated."

"What exactly is this here?", I asked.

"They will explain everything.", he answered, giving me a small smile.

The woman came out of the station, saying we had to go now. I was not ready to say goodbye to Connor.

"When will I see you again?", I asked in such a quiet voice that I was really more whispering than speaking. This question caused him to look away from me. I already knew what the answer was going to be.

"I'm sorry, Scarlet. But we can never see each other again.", he replied while he was still unable to look me in the eyes, "It would indanger us both too much." I wanted to say that if this was the case, I would not want to stay here. I wanted to be at Connor's side forever; the emotions that flooded my body when I was near him were too wonderful to leave behind. But I knew he was not going to allow that and as such as I didn't want to stay without him, I knew it was for the best.

I looked down at the ground, saying nothing. When the woman repeated that we had to go now, I sighed and was about let Connor's hands and follow the woman, when he suddenly pulled me towards him, hugging me. I was a bit taken aback, but then hugged him back. When he let me go again, he proceeded to look me deep into my eyes, our head only inches away from each other. Just before I got lost in his brown eyes, he pressed his warm lips against mine.

Kiss – touch or caress with the lips as a sign of love

I can't tell you for how long the kiss lasted; it could have seconds or minutes. As he finally let me go, being grabbed by the woman, I only looked at Connor, who got smaller and smaller, as I was forced to walk down the road of the dark forest. Only when the night swallowed him, I turned around to look at the road we were going on. A dark van was standing at the side of the street and as I got inside and the engine started roaring; I just looked outside, secretly hoping to see Connor even though I knew it was impossible.

I would never see Connor again; my first and only friend, maybe even my first and only love.