eight

Hainsey

Hainsey

"I have to go," I say to Emyln. "Think you can close up shop?"

She looks up at the clock above the computer, and then nods her head. "Yeah, I can handle fifteen minutes alone."

I can tell she's watching me as I collect my keys and wallet from the drawer of the desk. Studying me. Fine. Whatever. I know I look like a mess. I didn't bother showering after finishing the repairs I did today, but I don't feel comfortable showering in the staff bathroom with Emyln around. The girl is so unpredictable sometimes that I'm scared of what she could do – she's got the guts of a squirrel.

"I also work at the restaurant," I explain. "Sometimes my shifts collide."

Emyln nods at me and I see a small look of understanding. "It's all good. You go to your second job," she says. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thanks," I say, grateful she doesn't press for more information. Like which restaurant I work at. Damn it, the last thing I need is her getting a job there too. Although, I suppose I am somewhat happy that there's another person helping me out with this job. Mountain biking is a big attraction in Whistler. It's like the drug of choice for this place, and because of that, the shop is always busy. While I can normally get through the crowds that come in, having Ems here has been a relief.

But I'm never going to admit that out loud.

"Bye, Hains," Ems calls out as I step through the door.

I grit my teeth. After our argument or whatever the hell you want to call it that took place earlier, you'd think she'd stop acting the way she is. But that's the thing about her: she fights for what she wants.

And because of that, the whole way home all I can think about is Ems. Why is she back? Why is she putting up with her mom? How long is she staying for? Is she actually sorry? A little voice in my mind wonders if I should turn around and confront her on my own terms. That way, before she blurts out another apology, she'll know the real impact her departure had on me. I'd also have my own speech prepared. But the thought of it, of what we would need to confront is too much for me. It's not just about what happened after we kissed for the first time, it's also about what happened in the following days when it was just me and Val. Yeah, she was a good friend, but I had needed Emyln at that moment because she knew what I was going through. It's about the fact that she left. That I never saw her again and never heard from her either. It's because of those reasons I don't see a point in forgiving her.

I pull into the driveway and shift into park in a frustrated manner. I'm pissed off at myself. Ems. Ems. Ems. She's all I can think about when I shouldn't be. Thinking about the past makes my emotions want to splinter, and my bones turn to dust. Ems coming back has reminded me about where I am in my life, and I don't want to dredge through the undeniable facts. Dealing with my mom's drug addiction, paying bills, and working two jobs is enough to deal with. But I can't stop myself from comparing our lives. I bet Ems graduated high school on the Principal's List and has gotten into Canada's top university with little to no effort. Judging by the snippets of the conversation I heard, I bet she's got a stellar job and a boyfriend that meets her standards.