forty

Emyln

Emyln

As soon as I hear the downstairs door close, I throw my arms on the table and bury my face in them, trying to ignore how much my skin smells like him. "Why, Mom?" I moan in embarrassment. "Why did you have to come into my bedroom? You don't just walk in! Hains is never going to want to come over here ever again after today."

"I said I was sorry, Emyln!" she exclaims. "If you didn't want me to come in, then why didn't you say something?"

"Because you didn't give me a chance to! And I was busy! I was also shocked. You said late afternoon - not early afternoon - when you told me what time you'd be home."

"I know," she says, looking down at her cup of coffee. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin things."

I sigh and rub my temples. "You didn't ruin anything, Mom. I just wish you wouldn't have walked in and made things awkward for Hains. You know him - he's not going to be able to look you in the eye for weeks now. Hell, he's probably going to hide from you whenever you show up at work. Ugh. Sometimes he acts too much like a gentleman."

Mom laughs and sets her coffee down. "I've always loved that boy, Emyln, for that specific reason. If it had been any other boy in your bed, I would be upset with you. And, even though I know you'll find it hard to believe after what I've done, I know what love is. You two are in love and if both of you wanted that to happen, then so be it. Just assure me, one more time, that you're both being safe."

"I-I..." I stutter. I can't seem to get my stupid tongue to work. My mom actually approves of this? I can't believe it. "Yes. Ever since Rosa visited, I've been on the pill - thank her for that, by the way, because big sisters seem to know best - and we used a condom. We may be young, but we're not stupid."

Mom looks at me for a good two minutes, and I begin to think I have a chocolate moustache from the doughnut I've been picking at.

"Is there something on my face?" I finally ask.

"No," Mom says softly. "I just can't believe how much you've grown up since the last time I saw you, Emlyn."

I feel a punch of guilt that I know I shouldn't feel. It's her own fault that she didn't get to see me grow up, but I still feel like I should have done something more. It's like Hains with his mom - if I'd been more persistent with my wants then maybe I'd have been here sooner.

"That's what time does," I shrug.

Silence fills the kitchen for several seconds before she gets up and pats me on the arm. "You and Hainsey can take the day off today - I'll cover the shifts today. If I do recall correctly, it's hard to be away from your partner after the first time. In fact, I remember with your father - "

"Okay!" I exclaim, standing up. "I don't need to know about your sex life with Dad - too much information, Mom, too much information."

She smiles at me, a familiar look of mischief in her eyes. "You're right, honey, I'm sorry. Just let me say one more thing: if you want someone to talk to, call your sister."