forty-one

Hainsey

Hainsey

Ems comes over around two; she knocks on the door, I answer it, and she steps in.

Today is one of those days where my mom has put herself together – thank God. I'd rather Ems not see her at her worst. The only reason I say this is because you can still notice the differences even when she's acting like nothing's wrong. It's the small things: the pinprick scars on her arms, the distant glaze over her eyes, the sparks of temper she sometimes acts on. Shit like that.

"Wow," Ems says as I close the door. "This place looks amazing, Hains."

I look around the front entrance area. To me, not much has changed in the past five years. But to Ems, I guess a new paint colour, updated flooring, and a new bannister for the stairs count as changes.

"You did all this yourself?" she asks.

I shrug. "Most of it. Had a little help with the flooring. The rest was easy. YouTube has great instructional videos on shit like this."

"Well," my girlfriend smiles, "I love your house."

"Thanks."

After our conversation, we head for the kitchen, where my mom is sitting at the breakfast bar and drinking a mug of black coffee. The instant Ems lays eyes on her I can sense the difference in the atmosphere. I watch as she inspects my mom, a look of utter sadness in her eyes. Her eyes travel over the scars that pattern my mom's arms. I lean back against the doorway to the kitchen and close my eyes. The self-loathing I feel right now is indescribable. I hate myself for not being strong enough to stand up. Mom's been able to do this because of me.

Mom still hasn't noticed us in the kitchen, so I clear my throat loud enough that she looks up. And this moment has to be one of the most painful I have ever experienced in my life because I see a version of my mom I haven't seen for years. Her face lights up as it used to when Ems and I would score a disgusting goal on a two-on-one breakaway during a hockey game; when we would burst out laughing at the stupidest shit; when we were utterly inseparable.

"Emyln!" she says, getting to her feet and rushing over to hug her.

"Hey," Ems says, her voice small. She hugs my mom back. "How are you?"

"I'm great," Mom says with more enthusiasm than I've heard in years. "I'm so happy you're back."

Over my mom's shoulder, Ems looks at me and shakes her head. I look down at the tile, biting back the tears. I know Ems is asking the same questions I've been asking for years. It's unreal how my mom can act so normal when she's anything but.

When I manage to gain my composure, Mom is talking Ems's ear off, but my girlfriend is looking at me; every bit of her attention is focused on me and my reaction. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. It's nice to have someone that really cares for me.