eighteen

Emyln

Emyln

I kissed him.

That's all I can think about as we bike to the viewpoint above the lake. I'm gasping for breath before we're even halfway up, but it doesn't bother me because I can't stop thinking about Hains and the kiss. He totally kissed me back - I could tell that he wanted it as much as I did.

Throughout the whole ride up I can feel his eyes one me. Although I do my best to stop myself from looking at him and giving the men surrounding me more power to tease and poke at the two of us, I fail. At one point, he looked at me and smiled, causing me to almost swerve off of the thin boardwalk and into the bubbling brook that lines the trail. I mumbled some incoherent excuse about there being a root, which only made the boys snicker because they knew damn well I was lying - there are no stupid slippery roots on the boardwalk.

Yet, even with my ridiculous mistakes, I'm still looking at him. Who cares about a broken arm or a couple of cracked ribs? Right now, he's leading the pack with Ethan. I think there's a bromance brewing between the two of them. It's cute, but I'm also a teensy bit jealous. This is supposed to be a bonding time for us. But, then again, when Hainsey's kicked out of his cabin later today because the reservations were set for only one night instead of two, we can make up for that lost time. And hopefully repair the humongous gorge between us.

So, for now, all I do is continuously glance at him while ignoring Brendan as he makes comments about why he and I would be a better couple than me and Hains. It takes every ounce of self-control I have left in my sanity to prevent myself from shoving him over the edge. I guess Brendan is just one of those guys that don't give a flying fuck about a woman's current relationship status. Taking my eyes off the trail for a moment, I glare at him. Yeah. I could see him breaking up a happy marriage. Maybe I could introduce him to my mom. I'm sure they'd hit it off well together.

Oh, how tempted I am to snap at the asshole.

But I don't do it - we're working, and if my mom heard anything about a situation where I lost my temper on a client, she would lose hers on me. So, scavenging up whatever non-bitchiness I have left, I smile sweetly and say, "Brendan. Hains and I have known each other since we were kids; we grew up together, played hockey on the same team, and were - are neighbours. You're wasting your time on trying to win me over because it's not going to work. I'm in love with my best friend. It's as simple as that."

As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I want to start crying, to my utter disappointment. It's not that simple. Brendan doesn't even know the just of the situation I'm in with Hainsey. I've fucked everything up between us and I'm trying to win him back. It should be easy for a girl like me to do, but I'm barely able to cope with everything that's gone on. Hainsey is my kryptonite, and boy, does he know how to make me suffer inadvertently. He's a walking contradiction: so full of brightness yet there's a certain darkness to him; confident yet seemingly uncomfortable; caring but cold. Sometimes I can't figure out what he wants. The only thing I do know is that part of him wants me. How big that proportion is, I'm still trying to find out.