Chapter 11: The Rat Trap

Later on in the evening Basil, Dawson and Marinette were walking down the pier, towards the pub known as The Rat Trap. Fog surrounded the pier creating a mysterious atmosphere. Water lapping up against the rotten wood, creating a soft melody. Oil lamps faintly shone into the water's surface. Toby was sitting up on the tall wooden structure, watching the three mice below him. Footsteps echoed in the surroundings of the night atmosphere.

Marinette was walking ahead, prepared for almost anything to happen inside the pub. Basil seemed to be lost in thought as he watched Marinette's movement. Bold, strong and fearless... something which didn't make much sense as to what he'd previously seen her as... sweet, innocent and mysterious. Dawson could tell something was bothering Basil.

"Uhh... Marinette are you sure this will this do?" Asked Dawson as he pulled slightly as the hem of his shirt, feeling slightly ridiculous in the outfit.

"The pair of you look perfect... you'll blend in fine, besides the pair of you dressed as sailors gives me a reason if anyone asks where I've been" Replied Marinette as she glanced over her shoulder, a mischievous smile plastered across her lips as she flicked her hair over her shoulder.

Gently she placed her hand on the door knob. Suddenly Marinette realised she'd forget to tell the pair of them something important.

"I've got an alias name here... call me London from now on" Said Marinette as she continued to stare at the door knob, praying they now wouldn't put everything together and work out who she really was.

"London... she spends most time in criminal filled environment... then dresses like she's some sort of criminal... and the alias London... using guns to protect herself... she could almost pass for the London Gun Slinger" Thought Basil as he continued to let his mind wander, following Marinette into the pub.

Everyone inside seemed to go quiet as they all stared at the doorway. Marinette glanced around then and lifted her head up slightly.

"London!" Shouted everyone in the pub, lifting their glasses up with wide smiles on their faces.

"Glad to be back" Said Marinette as she threw her hands wide open, a sly grin spread across her lips.

"She wasn't kidding when she said she came here often" Thought Basil as he discreetly glanced around the pub, still confused as to why Marinette would come here often.

"You know Ratigan's been going a bit insane since you've disappeared" Said one if the mice as they took a swig of their drink, glancing over their shoulder towards her.

"I don't blame him... I'm the only one that can do a job with no screw ups" Replied Marinette as she continued to walk through the pub with Basil and Dawson, trying to remain calm realising anything said could end her.

"You're playing a dangerous game now... and I think I might have just lost" Thought Marinette as she tried to remain calm and collective, still having a sly smile plastered across his face.

"Unbelievable... she's been misdirecting the entire time" Thought Basil as his suspicion levels started to grow again, now starting to lose his faith in Marinette.

Marinette, Basil and Dawson walked over to an empty table in the middle of the pub. Centre in front of the stage, lights were shining down onto some velvet red curtains. A piano set by the front corner of the stage, a level just above with a verity of different instruments laid there. Mice were playing poker, drinking and all sorts around the pub. Suddenly a female bartender mouse walked over to Marinette, Basil and Dawson.

"London... lovely to see you after so long" Said the female mice as she opened her arms slightly, Marinette stood up and both the mice shared a light embrace.

"It's good to see you as well Elise" Replied Marinette as she gave her a slight smile, pulling out of the embrace.

"So what can I get you and your mates here?" Asked Elise as she gestured to Basil and Dawson who were sitting down behind Marinette, giving them a light smile.

"I'll have the usual" Replied Marinette as she gave Elise a small smile, glancing over her shoulder at Basil and Dawson.

"Two pints will do for us" Replied Basil as he gave the Elise a slight nod with a smile, then averted his gaze back towards the stage.

With that Elise went back towards the bar and started pouring the drinks. Marinette sat back down beside Basil, glancing at him from time to time. Mainly her focus was on the stage. Basil was lost in thought most of the time, not really taking any notice of things going on around him. Consumed with all different thoughts and feelings it was almost killing him on the inside. Suddenly he was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a clunk shuffle type of movement.

Discretely Basil glanced over his shoulder to see Jack and Fidget walking over. He glanced over at Marinette as he could already tell she knew they were here.

"Look who finally crawled out of the sewer" Said Jack as he placed a hand on Marinette's shoulder, lower his head so it was level with Marinette's eye line.

"At least I can do my job properly... unlike the pair of you two" Replied Marinette as she glared at Jack from the side of her eyes, an unimpressed expression covered her face.

"Whatever... where were you when we needed you?" Snapped Jack as he gripped Marinette's shoulder slightly tighter, a death glare stabbed her right in the soul.

"That's none of your business" Snapped Marinette as she glared back at Jack, her eyes almost turning red from anger.

With that Jack stood up slightly, now resting on the back of Marinette's chair. Marinette glanced over her shoulder at Jack, then down at Fidget. Her patient was starting to wear thin. Suddenly Elise came scurrying over towards Marinette and the others.

"London... I need to ask a favour" Asked Elise as a panicked look covered her face, then looking over her shoulder for a split second and looking Marinette dead in the eyes.

"Yeah... what's the problem?" Replied Marinette as she looked up at Elise, raising an eyebrow as she crossed her arms over her gently leaning back in her chair.

"I need you to perform a number for us... the last entertainer can't make it" Said Elise in a panicked tone as he twiddled her fingers slightly, worried of what her boss would do.

"Yeah London why don't you do it?" Said Fidget as he let out a little chuckle, clutching his sides slightly.

"Fine... pay my tab off and I'll perform" Replied Marinette as she stood up and glared down at Fidget who immediately stopped chuckling, cowering away slightly.

"Deal" Said Elise as Marinette walked straight past her and towards the s ack of the stage, getting ready of a performance she knew was going to be good.