Chapter 18: Farewell Familiar

Hikari sat there, feeling lost. The masked boy crouched down and put his hand on his knee.

"You were asleep for longer than you thought. A lot has happened in that time. Since you were separated." He sounded serious for once.

"How did they?..." My voice creaked out.

"They were Nobodies after all. And most of them were just copies. They couldn't live that long, until the others woke up." He replied.

I brought my hands down from my face.

I don't know what to think. I don't feel anything. I can't feel anything anymore. I think, I've finally broke.

I stared at the swirling fog.

"Do you understand pain now?" He questioned.

I looked up. Dark smoke started to emit from him. It spread throughout the entire room. I looked over into the mirror. In the reflection, I saw myself as a shadow.

Is that, all I would become? Nothing more than a piece of something forgotten. I can't let this happen. I won't let this be my future.

He stood. "I'm doing this for your own good. Soon you won't remember anything, not even your past." The masked boy spoke.

I stared at him intensely. "If you're going to kill me, I want to know your name." I asked.

"If I do, it would be all for nothing. You'll be gone soon, you won't remember a thing." He smirked.

The dark fog wrapped around me. I was so tired, I felt like I was about to fall over.

No, I can't stop. I was so close, to seeing them again. If I fall asleep, I'll be gone.

"You can't give in now. You have to keep going. Get up!... To see us again." The boy's voice spoke.

I drew up the power I needed to fight back this darkness.

I will use everything I've got, to take the last steps, to get to them.

I stared him in the eyes as I slowly got up. The light returned to me. The darkness diminished from the room. The mirror's began to crack. The masked boy backed away. He looked shocked.

"Of course you fight..." He scoffs.

Then He faded away in a stream of particles.

He wasn't really there the whole time...

The cracks grew larger. The illusion was beginning to fall apart. This might be the only chance I get to escape this realm. Before I get trapped inside this broken place. I could see strands of light coming through the mirrors. The one in front of me began to waver.

My way out.

I ran ahead and jumped through. I fell in sideways. I was floating on my back. Everything was white, like clouds. The mirror I went through shattered, sending the pieces flying out around me. They sparkled, reflecting the light. I feel, calm and free in this place. Just floating here, weightless. I stared up at the clouds above me.

At least I can have a moment of peace, while it lasts.

"You always manage to find a way." The voice said lightly.

I smiled.

"I guess, I do. I have people looking out for me, even if they're not right by my side." I spoke.

I heard Him laugh happily.

"But... There's still a small part of me, that isn't certain what will really happen. I'm afraid..." I answered, holding my ribs, looking away.