Chapter 4

(Chloe)

I was making my way over to school, running like a mad woman. I woke up late, yeah, but I tried my best not be late.

It was hard, but I got used to it eventually and managed.

But today was insane!

My four older siblings hogged the bathroom; dad had a client and drove off, leaving me stranded, and mom got up early for her morning jog.

Now, tired, since I missed breakfast, I was using my last bit of energy to get to school before the bell rings.

The school was just in front of me. No students were in sight, meaning everyone was inside.

‘Shit’, I thought. ‘If I’m late today, I’ll never be allowed to stay up ever!’

I checked my watch. I had 4 minutes to get to my first class.

As I stepped into the halls, I ran into the one person who could be the death of me.

“’Morning, Miss Young,” said Mr. Martin, the school’s demon teacher, stepping out of the room behind him. His piercing black eyes bore into mine, causing me to slightly shudder.

He reminded me of Professor Snape from Harry Potter and Victor Rodenmaar from House of Anubis. His jet black oily hair and malevolent smile was scary enough to make a grown man whimper.

He checked his pocket watch and his smile grew even bigger, making him look like an evil villain from a movie.

“It looks like you’re late,” he said. “You know what that means don’t you?”

I gulped and nodded. “De-Detention?”

He nodded and gave me a wicked smile. “Yes, but not only that, but I believe this isn’t your first offense. I would need to call your parents and-“

Suddenly, the door behind him burst open and there stood Jackson, smiling oh so casually.

He looked at Mr. Martin, then at me, as if we were the most interesting tennis match that he has ever watched.

He looked at me with a look that said, ‘Need some help?’

I didn’t know how to respond, but my eyes said, ‘Yes! Get me away from this nightmare!’

“Mr. Martin,” he said, smiling. “I’m so glad you found Chloe. She got a bit side tracked helping me out.”

He stepped next to me and placed something in my bag discretely.

Mr. Martin raised an eyebrow. “And what exactly was she helping you with Mr. Wilde?”

Jackson slapped his forehead. “Of course, silly me. Chloe, why don’t you show Mr. Martin what we were planning on.”

I stared at him for a split second, and then it dawned on me.

I rummaged through my bag and pulled out a book that didn’t belong to me.

I looked at him quizzically, but he just smiled and nodded encouragingly.

I stared at the book. It was about the size of a normal pocket book and its cover showed two people, a man and a woman, holding hands on what looked like a Ferris wheel.

The title read, ‘Finding Cinderella Part two: The Chase’

In what messed up universe did Jackson want me to do with this?!