Chapter 21

(Chloe)

I’ve never seen Jack like that since that horrible day…..

I looked out of the window of my siblings’ car, staring at the buildings lit by their lights as they passed by.

My dad had convinced them to pick me up and bring me home, which they agreed with reluctance.

My watch told me it was around 6:00, so I had enough time to relax once I got home.

As we passed by a bright white house, I suddenly realized that we were taking a different route away from home.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“To a party,” Cassandra said, turning a corner.

“Why?” I asked again, this time a bit agitated.

Camille sighed next to me. “Of course, you wouldn’t understand, you’ve never been invited to one.”

I rolled my eyes.

“We’ve been invited by the coolest kids at our college,” Cassandra said. “And it’s tonight only.”

“So drop me off first,” I cried.

“We’re running late,” Curtis said. “We only agreed to do this since dad was paying us.”

I sighed. Yeah, that seemed about right. I knew they would never do anything without getting something in return.

“But wouldn’t they notice if we weren’t home?”

“That’s why we told them we’re taking you to the park to ‘bond’ together,” Chris said, making air quotes. “Like that would ever happen, but thankfully, they bought it.”

We stopped near an old house by an alley way.

The four of them got out of the car, dressed in their fancy clothes and wearing their most expensive accessories.

“Get out of the car,” Chris said, opening my door.

“Wha-Why?” I said, not stepping out. “Can’t I just stay in here?”

He rolled his eyes at me. “No, you can’t who knows what might happen to our car. You might crash it.”

“Or break it,” Curtis chimed in.

“You have the keys,” I protested.

“Just get out will ya?” Camille said, checking her Rolex. “We’re already three minutes late, and unlike you, we Young’s have a reputation to uphold.”

I grumbled and stepped out of the car.

“Stay here and don’t move,” Cassandra said.

They left the car and walked up to the old building as if they owned the place.

A college dude opened the door and invited them in.

As soon as I was left alone, I immediately heard footsteps behind me.

All thoughts went to the news about a kidnapper in the city.

I grabbed my phone and ran off.

The footsteps behind me gradually picked up the pace, and soon, they were chasing me.

I looked around to see if there was anyone who could help me, but the place was a ghost town.

My breathing was rapid and I was slowing down.

I turned around to see if they were still chasing me, and sure enough, there they were, pouring on speed as they caught up with me.

I rounded a corner into a dark alley and hid myself behind a trash can.