Chapter 26

(Jackson)

As my love life crumbled, I’ve been trying to hold it together during the soccer tournament.

No matter how much of a wreck I was, I needed to pull it together for the guys.

We played match after match, winning every time, but the team knew something was wrong with me the past few games. It’s a miracle we even made it here to the finals!

Here we were, on the stage of the nation. The cries of the crowd made me shudder in excitement.

“Let’s go, captain,” Tyler said, resting a hand on my shoulder as he handed me the captain’s band.

I looked over at him and take it, putting it on my right arm. “Yeah.”

I turn to my fellow friends as they smile at me, their eyes full of anxiety and excitement.

“Everyone!” I called. “We’re finally here! Through blood, sweat and tears, we made it!”

Everyone cheered, the locker room filled with our yells.

“Win or lose today, we gave it our all. But enough talk, today, we dine in hell!!!”

Everyone cheered like Spartans, entering a war. It has begun.

The clock was winding down as everyone in the stadium held their breath.

The score was tied, 2-2, and everyone was tired and winded, even the opposing team.

“Move up,” I called, signaling everyone to move forward.

The clock was winding down, so everyone was giving it their all.

“Ace!” Song called from behind.

I turned just in time to receive his pass.

I made my way forward, using my hand to signal my teammates to mark the players so I could get through.

Soon, I was near the goal, when someone blocked my path.

“Smooth, Ace,” Jerome Shyler muttered, making me stop in my tracks. “Very smooth.”

The captain of the Iron Titans stood in front of me, his figure unnerving enough to make forwards falter.

I grinned. “It’s been fun, but I’m here to win.”

I surged forward, but he timed me so I could barely move.

I gritted my teeth as he smirked, stoping me in my tracks.

“Time’s up, Ace,” he said mockingly.

He dashed forward; I only had a moment to react.

Time slowed down. He was rushing forward at me. Have you ever been charged at by a tank? This was how it felt.

I rushed forward, dribbling the ball infront of me. If I didn’t do this right, I’d either end up with a broken ankle, or get a penalty.

7 feet. I locked with his eyes.

6 feet. I gritted my teeth. Let’s dance.

5 feet. One step forward.

4 feet. I kick the ball up.

3 feet. I open my arms infront of me, ready to spin.

2 feet. He looks puzzled, but doesn’t slow down.