Chapter 1

Emily's POV

I laughed as I posed for the camera, playing the familiar chords of my favourite song on the piano as I sang along. It was by my favourite band, 5 Seconds of Summer. Most of their songs didn't really suit the piano, but I loved them so much that I played them anyway. I flicked my dyed blue hair around and sang my heart out, performing for my friend Maddy, who was filming me on her phone as we messed around with other friends in the music room at school.

“Definitely going on Instagram,” she said when I had finished singing the chorus.

“Aww no, it was awful,” I said, wrinkling my nose. I liked singing, but I had little faith in my voice, and often claimed that I 'couldn't really sing'. My friends told me I could sing, but I knew that they would say that anyway, no matter what my singing was really like. Suddenly the bell rang, and we groaned as we realised that we were late for Maths. It was the start of term, and I was already in trouble because of my hair. I had dyed it in the last week of the holidays, as it was something I had been meaning to do for a while. The packet claimed that it came out after one wash, but it was pretty cheap dye, and it looked like it was going to be there for a while. Unfortunately, it was a very bright blue, and easily noticeable in a crowd. On the first morning of term, my Head of Year and the Deputy Head (who was very strict about uniform rules) had both come up to me and told me off about it. I had tried to explain my excuse, but I was still in trouble and I had a detention on Friday. My hair was normally brown and curly, but I had straightened it because I thought the blue looked better like that. I'm tall, and so is Maddy. She has straight brown hair and brown eyes, and she is a fan of a lot of things, including Marvel films, and you are most likely to find her wearing a Marvel t-shirt. She also loves 5sos, and has lots of celebrity crushes, including Ashton. I am a Luke girl, but I frequently have massive Michael feels! I like school, and I do well at most subjects, except Sport, which I hate. Maddy and I also had two other friends who loved 5sos, and we often had long discussions about them together.

After our last lesson of the day had finished, and we had gone down to tea and eaten a slice of toast, we walked back up to the main school for prep. We managed to be on time for once, and I soon settled down and got on with the Maths prep we had been given, after our rather strict teacher had given us a lecture for being late and given my hair a few dirty looks. We were now in sixth form, so we were in charge of making sure everyone else behaved, but as it was our first time, we both worked in the same room. Maddy had her book open, but was on her Instagram under the table. I watched over her shoulder, and saw her posting the video of me singing and playing the piano earlier. I smiled as I watched her type '@emilyrl14 singing the song of our people! @5sos @calumhood @ashtonirwin @lukeisapenguin @michaelgclifford' and post the video.

“Working hard I see,” I whispered to her. "Setting a great example." She smiled and put her phone away to do the Maths with me.

A/N

Thanks to everyone who's read this far! This is the first time I've written something on Wattpad, so I hope you guys like it! Sorry not much has happened yet, I promise it will get more interesting (I know that everyone says that) but I didn't want it to move on too fast! Please tell me what you think in the comments, and give me any suggestions/criticisms so that I can improve it. Most of the characters are based on real people, including the main girl, Emily, who is basically me, and one of her best friends Maddy, who is one of my real best friends (she co-owns the account ariandliz14, go and check out her story!). However, the Instagram account isn't real.