Chapter 16

Luke's POV

I finished my last slice of pepperoni pizza and sighed. We had had a good meal, but we were all bored – again.

“I have nothing to do,” complained Emily, throwing her phone onto the sofa.

“Should we watch a film?” asked Ashton.

“We've watched so many films,” I groaned.

“Yeah, I don't think I have any left,” said Maddy. “We should play a game or something.”

“How about truth or dare?” suggested Jojo.

“Is that really a good idea?” asked Emily.

“We haven't got anything else to do...” I pointed out.

“Fine,” she agreed. “But I'm not doing dares.”

“You have to do at least one...” said Calum.

“Let's just start,” said Michael. “I nominate Luke to go first.” Everyone turned to me expectantly.

“Truth,” I said quickly.

“Why did you dye your hair?” asked Michael, looking at me.

“That's a rubbish question,” Calum scoffed.

“Well I want to know the answer,” persisted Michael. I thought for a moment before choosing my answer. The real reason I had dyed my hair was because I was sort of jealous of the bond that Emily and Michael had over their hair. It sounded stupid, and I kind of regretted doing it, but I was feeling really helpless at the time, and I thought that only something crazy would make her notice me more.

“Uh – well, I was bored. I wanted to try it, I've always wanted to dye my hair, so I thought – why not?” Michael rolled his eyes, but everyone else accepted the answer.

“Okay, my turn,” volunteered Emily, who was sitting next to me in the circle we had formed on the floor. “I pick truth.”

“What's the furthest you've been with a guy?” asked Calum.

“You can't ask that, that's such a personal question!” I complained.

“Luke, it's truth or dare.”

“I – uh, I've never had a boyfriend, so nothing,” she said, looking down and playing with her hands.

“You've never had a boyfriend?” asked Michael, sounding interested.