Chapter 36

Michael's POV

“Do we have to do this?” I whined as Ashton led us into the club. Typically, the music was too loud, there were drunk people everywhere, and all of the usual stuff. The only difference was that most of us didn't want to be there at all. Maddy, Ashton and Jojo were ready to party, but I think Flavia and Calum would rather have been talking and spending time together in the hotel, and I know Luke, Emily and I were all feeling too upset or angry to want to enjoy ourselves, and it would only be made worse by the fact we would be surrounded by couples.

“You'll enjoy yourself,” he said, leaning over to talk directly into my ear because of the noise. “It's a well-known fact that the best way to get over a girl is to go clubbing.”

“I don't need to get over her,” I scoffed. Ash raised his eyebrows and shrugged. He knew I was lying to myself. Sure, I was angry at Emily, and I told Luke that she wasn't worth it, and appeared to be over her, but inside I still loved her. I loved the way she still got nervous about singing in front of us even though she had the most beautiful voice, I loved her weird sense of humour, I loved her unique laugh which always sounded kind of like she was hiccuping. I sighed and ordered a drink. I wasn't planning on getting really drunk tonight – we all knew what had happened the last time – but I needed something to do since I had nobody to dance with. Maddy and Ashton were dancing together, and Jojo looked like she was having the time of her life a little way off from them. Emily stood next to Jojo, trying to look like she was enjoying herself, but I saw through her false smile immediately. Flavia, Calum and Luke were sat at the bar, trying to have a conversation, but I had purposely sat a few seats along. It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to them, but I had planned to spend some time alone this evening, like I had been doing for the last week or so. I felt like I needed some time to reflect on what was going on, and my feelings towards Emily and Luke. My feelings about Luke always stayed the same – I felt no hatred towards him any more, only the comfortable friendship I had missed so much. However, my feelings about Emily changed every night, depending on how tired I was, how the day had been and how much I'd been around the other couples in our group. I hated that I felt jealous of how happy they seemed together, but it did have an effect on me. Tonight was particularly bad. I was exhausted. The concerts had gone pretty well recently, but we had been working really hard, and I really just needed an early night. I had come to the conclusion that the more tired I was, the more I just wanted to lay down with Emily somewhere quiet and cuddle, without any doubts or complications.

I sipped my drink miserably and watched Maddy and Ashton dance in each other's arms. The way they stared into each other's eyes got to me eventually, and I turned my eyes down to the floor. My gaze was fixed on the wooden planks, sticky from where someone had spilt their drink, until a pair of red high heeled shoes walked into my view. My eyes travelled up long, tanned legs, so far that I was beginning to wonder if the body attached to the legs was wearing any clothes at all. Eventually I reached the bottom of a dress, if you could even call the tiny, skimpy piece of material that. The girl had blonde hair, too much makeup and a seductive smile on her face. I rolled my eyes. This was so unbelievably cliché. Lonely guy sitting in a club waiting to get over a girl meets a slut ready for a good time. But come on, we all know he regrets it later.

“Hi,” she said. “You look lonely.”