Chapter 31

Emily's POV

It finally happened on the journey from Paris back to Britain. I had just finished speaking to my parents on the phone, and was heading back to the lounge to chat to Maddy, when Luke stopped me in the corridor.

“Hey, can I talk to you upstairs for a second?” he said, biting his silver lip ring.

“Sure,” I smiled. I had long got past the point where I got excited every single time Luke talked to me, and expected everything he said to me to be something romantic. We entered the girls' room, after knocking to check if anybody was in there (I had learned my lesson from walking in on Maddy and Ashton one too many times), and he sat down on the end of my bed and took a deep breath as if he was about to say something really important. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them, leaning against my pillow.

“So, we're uh – we're stopping soon,” he said awkwardly.

“Yep, I know,” I said, nodding. We had just reached the coast of Britain and were driving to the nearest town to stop for the night. I frowned, confused as to why we needed to come upstairs, as if in secret, for him to tell me something that everybody already knew. He took a deep breath, glancing down at my duvet, which he was playing with, to avoid eye contact.

“I was wondering... If you'd like to come out with me tonight. We could do something fun together, just the two of us.” He looked up nervously at me, hope in his blue eyes. My head was spinning, and the only clear thoughts in my mind was that I mustn't assume it was a date, maybe he meant it as just friends, don't jump to conclusions!

“Yeah, sure,” I agreed. How do I check if this is as friends or more?! Do I hint, or say nothing and wait until later, or - “Is this just as friends, or as – more-than-friends?” I asked, spontaneously deciding it was best just to ask straight out.

“You don't have to do anything you don't want, but I was sort of thinking as... as more-than-friends.” My heart leaped and thudded inside my chest. I had been dreaming of this moment for years, but I never thought it would really come. A massive smile broke out on my face, and I almost forgot Luke was there until he gently touched my arm.

“Emily?”

“Yes,” I said, shaking my head and trying to bring myself back to Earth. “More-than-friends sounds... great.”

“Really?” His smile widened too. “Great. Shall we go soon after we stop, then?”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, grinning. “We should probably go downstairs, the others will wonder where we've gone.” I got up, but Luke held my wrist.

“Speaking of the others, do you mind not telling them yet? It's just so hard to have anything to yourself on tour, and it'd be nice to spend some time just us, without anyone asking questions, or teasing.”

“Sure, that's a good idea,” I said. “I might stay up here for a bit, but see you later, yeah?”