chapter 4

After I finished telling my life's story for the third fucking time today, it was dark out, and the girls were really quiet. I couldn't recall exactly where, but somewhere in between me telling them about my pulped insides, and the alien Spore, all of them except Ruby had that same damn combination of horror and pity on their faces. Once I was done, they all looked at Ruby for confirmation. When she nodded, the looks just got all the more pronounced. I tried to snap them out of it.

"Alright, that's my story, now you tell me yours. What the hell is a Faunus?"

The catgirl, Blake, wordlessly reached up and undid her bow. Hidden inside the knot were a pair of furry cat ears.

Un-fucking-believable.

Over the course of the next few seconds, I redid my scan of her genetics, with as much detail as I could pull with a rush job. No sign of tampering with the genes, and the RNA traces in the altered segments went back just as far as her more "human" side of things. She wasn't engineered to be like this, she was an all natural catgirl.

This fucking place.

"...Well, that's a thing," I concluded. "I'm not even gonna try to figure out how that's possible, I'm just gonna accept it." I cleared my throat (not technically, but i've said that already), and clapped my hands together. "Alright, now that we've got that out of the way, how about some introductions? Name's Alcatraz, I've already met Ruby, and I heard Blake's name. Who's next?"

Snow White stood up and actually curtsied. "My name is Weiss Schnee, heiress to the Schnee Corporation." All joking aside, her name was literally "White Snow" in German. It's okay, I've just accepted that there is, in fact, a God, and He derives great pleasure from fucking with me.

The laid back Blondie didn't bother getting up, she just raised a hand to get my attention. "I'm Yang Xiao Long, Ruby's sister." Sister? I run a quick scan on both of them, and find that they are, in fact, loosely related. Not full, actual siblings then. Maybe half sisters, or cousins, or something. Still odd that they don't share a last name, especially since Yang is most definitely not Asian, but that's so insignificant compared to the other shit I've had thrown at me today that it doesn't even register.

I nodded. "Alrighty then, that's everything?"

Ruby nodded. "Yeah. We have a dog too, Zwei, but he's not here right now."

After that, the conversation just sorta died. We waited around awkwardly until Snow White spoke up. "Alright, it was a pleasure meeting you Mr. Alcatraz, but we have classes tomorrow, and should be getting some rest." I heard Yang mutter "Like we're gonna be getting any sleep after that," under her breath. I didn't say anything.

I noticed Ruby taking her pillows off of her bed. "What are you doing?" I asked.

She turned around to look at me. "Oh, well you're going to need a place to sleep, and I don't really mind sleeping on the floor, and-"

I cut her off halfway through her sentence. "I don't sleep anymore. Thanks, though."

"You don't- Oh. Right, sorry."

I waved off her apology. "It's fine. Do you guys have a library, or a computer lab, or something like that?" I mean, might as well take advantage of the fact that I don't actually need rest, right?

She frowned. "We do, but it's closed at night. I would just give you some textbooks, but we left them in our lockers over the weekend. Wait, if you want to know more about Remnant, you should come with us to classes tomorrow, at eight o'clock! It'll be fun!"

I don't think many of the others would see it as "fun". Still, I promised I would show up tomorrow morning.

I walked out the door, addressing the rest of the group on the way out. "G'night, guys." I got some mumbled "G'nights", and one enthusiastic "Good night!"