chapter 19

I left the bodies behind me underneath the stairs. I’d switched over to non-friction mode while I gave the suit a second to recharge, letting the blood slide off my forearms into the same alcove I’d stashed the corpses in. The smell might have given me away, or at the very least put the next groups on edge.

I need to cross this floor to get down to the next one. Based on the readings I’m getting, there are around a dozen people on my level. Most of them are stationary, but there are a couple of them walking around. Loners. Guess they aren’t too worried about getting ganked this far into their ‘safe’ zone. 

Their mistake.

could just avoid them...but having people wandering around is risky. They could bump into me when I’m in a bad position, or they could even run across a corpse. I’m not taking any chances on this op, they have to die.

It didn’t take me long to reach the first one. He was already walking this way, which meant that his survival represented the highest risk of discovery. 

Young guy, got some scales here and there, plus slitted pupils. He’s...ah, fuck it, some kinda lizard. The novelty of genetically scanning a Faunus to figure out the family tree wore off after the first few times.

Doors in the hallway, all of them closed. I’m getting biometrics from inside one of them, but it’s a fair ways down. No way to check if a door is unlocked without making noise, so I’ll just have to use my own ‘special’ key. 

I run my Ceph-sword down the gap in between the door and the wall, severing the bolt. Before the lizard dude can react to the tiny metallic tearing noise, I swing the door open, grab him by the throat, and bring us both inside. Looks like a storage closet of some kind. Anyway, a sharp push on the dude’s chin, and his skull is forced off his spine almost before the expression of surprise gives way to fear. 

I decloak, recharge the battery, and wedge the door closed again on my way out. One roamer down. On my way to the next one, I neutralize the other hostile in the hallway. He might have left and noticed something fishy about the door I broke. 

The other roamer had fur and fangs. He died just as easily as the others.

That should be everything I need for this floor. By my guess, I can’t count on having more than ten minutes left until my cover’s blown. I shouldn’t need that much time to get down the the bottom floor, though.

This stairwell’s gonna be a little tougher to bypass. The door has a little window in it, and through that window I can see a camera, swiveling back and forth in between the top of the stairs, and the door at the bottom. 

Alright then. Tricky, but doable. I wish I had some kind of ECM function, though, it would come in handy.

A little window pops up in the corner of my vision.Electronic Warfare suite still in prototyping stage. Estimated time to completion: Unknown.

Huh. Can’t shut off the camera remotely, but I should have it some time in the future. Handy. Not immediately helpful, though. I can still rush it, just need to make sure I get the timing right. Shouldn’t be a problem, I used to kick ass in Splinter Cell

I just need to wait for an opening... There, camera’s not looking at the door anymore. I dart inside, close the door behind me, and cloak before the camera looks back my way. 

I decloak underneath the camera’s field of view, topping off my charge while waiting for it to swivel back up top. Just another second... and I’m clear to move.

Same routine that I just pulled: cloak, go down the stairs and through the door, and then close it quietly before the camera comes a’lookin.