prologue part four // after her

Veronica sat in her hospital bed, exhausted from having just given birth to her daughter. She held the blonde baby in her tired arms and waited patiently for her fiance and his son to greet her and the new addition to their family. JD and Jesse walked in. Both JD and Veronica were wary of how Jesse would react to his half-sister.

"Hi Jesse," Veronica said to the boy, who wasn't hers but who she loved so much.

"Hi Ronnie," He smiled.

"Come see," JD said, leading Jesse over to Veronica and the baby gently.

"This is your little sister." Veronica said as Jesse sat beside her and looked at the baby.

"Her name is Chloe." JD told Jesse.

"Isn't she cute?" Veronica asked Jesse, who shook his head no. Veronica laughed nervously. Both her and JD could see from the second Jesse laid eyes on Chloe that he resented her. They didn't even realize it was possible for a three year old to resent someone, especially a baby.

Once they were all home, Jesse and Chloe had to share a room because JD and Veronica couldn't get a better place yet. Chloe would nap while Veronica made Jesse lunch, but Jesse often snuck into the room to bang on the bars of Chloe's crib so she'd wake up.

As Chloe got older, Jesse became angrier towards her. He would push her as she was learning to walk, causing it to take longer than it did for most kids. He'd scratch her and pull her hair even if she wasn't bothering him. But once Chloe started school and made friends, he became possessive of her. He never really liked his sister, but she was his. And no one was allowed to disturb what was his.