interview two // chloe

Detective Kelly: I'm Detective Kelly, I'm looking into your brother's death.

Chloe: It was a suicide though.

Detective Kelly: Sometimes it helps families to know why their relative did this. Can you state your name and age for the record?

Chloe: My name is Chloe Elizabeth Dean, I'm fifteen years old.

Detective Kelly: How was your relationship with your brother, Chloe?

Chloe: Jesse was always mean to me.

Detective Kelly: Do you know why?

Chloe: Jealousy, I guess?

Detective Kelly: Could you elaborate on that?

Chloe: Tara was really abusive when Jesse was little. He always said he first felt love when he moved in with our mom and dad. Jesse always called my mother his mom.

Detective Kelly: Can you tell me who Tara is?

Chloe: Tara is Jesse's mother.

Detective Kelly: Do you know the extent that Jesse was abused?

Chloe: Not really. I know that she hit him, but I only know that because of the picture we have on the day he came to to my parents. He had this big bruise on cheek.

Detective Kelly: And you weren't born yet, correct?

Chloe: No, my mom was only about three months along when they found out about Jesse.

Detective Kelly: What do you mean found out?

Chloe: My dad didn't know he had a son. Because he didn't know, neither did my mom. The first time they heard about Jesse was from a social worker.

Detective Kelly: There were child support payments being sent to Jesse's mother.

Chloe: My grandfather sent those. He never told my dad about Jesse though.

Detective Kelly: What is your grandfather's name?

Chloe: Bud Dean. I don't know where he lives now though. My mom says he used to beat my dad up pretty bad so they don't talk much. Sometimes he calls me or Jesse but that's it.

Detective Kelly: What about your grandmother?

Chloe: My grandma Josephine passed away when my dad was twelve.

Detective Kelly: What about your maternal grandparents? What are their names?

Chloe: Richard and Valerie Sawyer. Sometimes when Jesse was extra mean to me, he stayed with my grandparents for a day or two.

Detective Kelly: Why?

Chloe: Jesse would threaten to kill me, especially after Bella, so my parents would give him a break from me.

Detective Kelly: Who is Bella?

Chloe: Isabella Henry. She was my first real friend.

Detective Kelly: What happened to Bella?

Chloe: Jesse killed her.

Officer Kelly: Do you know why?

Chloe: Because she was my friend.