The Ancient Rift

-Amy's P.O.V-

I looked up in excitement as we emerged into the new world, expecting to see beautiful rolling hills or vast forests filled with flowers and animals. Instead we were faced with nothing more than a vast ocean, stretching out as far as the eye could see in every direction. Sighing, Stampy turned and retreated below deck. Squid, on the other hand, seemed quite content with plunging into the waves to swim alongside the boat. He was a squid, after all. Then again, I was a mermaid, and I was perfectly happy sitting on deck with the wind in my hair and my friends to talk to. However, I thought it would be quite fitting for me to join a fellow sea creature and so instead of keeping my hair dry I turned and dived into the water after him. He looked around in surprise as water from my entrance sprayed all over him. "Race you!" I challenged and streaked away through the waves.

"Hey! You'll lose the boat!" I heard Finnball yell as Squid powered after me, his tentacles churning the water as he shot forwards. I simply grinned and dove under the waves. Taking advantage of the brief moment where he was clueless to my whereabouts, I swam up underneath him and pulled him under with me. He struggled at first but calmed when he saw me swimming away and bursting out on the surface. "Come back up here!" Rosie yelled, but to no avail. I planned to stay underwater a while longer. Squid had the same idea.

The afternoon was certainly a fun one to say the least. Squid and I dived about in the water, Stampy and Finnball took turns to steer and Rosie went below deck to our sleeping quaters for some peace and quiet. In fact, the sun had just touched the surface of the waves when something happened.

The water was beginning to grow murky and very soon I could barely see a couple blocks ahead of me. Squid and I had to swim so close together we were touching in order not to get seperated. Then we crashed into something sticking up out of the shadows on the sea floor. It was the rotten, seaweed-cloaked mast of a ship, long lost beneath the waves. Curious, Squid and I exchanegd glances before swimming down for a closer look. It was a pretty large boat, about the size of the SS Stampy, with faded letters carved on one side: The Ancient Rift. That must have been the name of the boat. For some odd reason I couldn't explain, it seemed familiar to me, although I hadn't a clue when I'd have seen this boat before. Besides, it looked just as ancient as the name described, as half of the ship had completely rotted away and what was left was smothered in seaweed. Suddenly, I felt Squid tugging me upwards. Oh yeah. We forgot about our own ship.

We were extremely lucky that Stampy had waited for us where we had vanished from sight, otherwise we would be lost. Shivering with cold now night was almost upon us, we dragged ourselves aboard and went straight below deck to warm up. I'd have to tell Stampy about the ship later. 

For the time being, we gathered together in our sleeping quaters for a light dinner after Stampy weighed anchor so we wouldn't drift away. Dinner was a cheerful affair, though there was little food so we had to ration it. I couldn't stp thinking about the boat. The Ancient Rift... Where had I heard that name before? Why did I feel like it was important to me somehow? I must've zoned out because the second I stopped thinking about it the first thing I heard was Rosie practically yelling down my ears, "Hello, Earth to Amy, are you deaf or something?" I jumped, startled, before facing her. "What?" I asked. Rosie rolled her eyes. "What do you think we're going to find on our journey?" she asked. I shrugged. "Probably some islands and people's homes and villages and stuff..." I replied absent-mindedly. I wasn't really that focused.

That night, it took me forever to get to sleep. My brain was working overtime trying to figure out what was so important about The Ancient Rift. Eventually, I drifted into a light slumber, plagued by images of the long-lost vessel sitting quietly, undisturbed at the ocean floor.

A/N Sooooooooo...... Why is Amy suddenly remembering things that never happened to her for no apparent reason? Very mysterious... Anyways, I hope y'all enjoyed this book which has over fifty reads within a day or two of being released 0.0