The Shit We Do For Love

Adrians POV

After a long day of work I just needed to unwind. That god it was Friday and I wasn't put in the schedule this week. I don't understand how people can go through their whole lives living like this. Working like a dog and just existing but not living. I guess that's why I can't help but to connect with Fatima. When I'm with her I feel like I'm alive, not just a being moving through life. Before I went home I had to stop by my parents home, I really needed to get some information from my mom and it couldn't wait. Besides, my father usually stayed at the church late for the youth pastors meeting so I shouldn't have to worry about running into him. 

I drive to my parents drive way and get out of my car and walk to the front door fishing for the keys.

"Hey Adrian, how have you been I haven't seen you around" I look over and see my neighborhood, Mr. Resner. I faked a smile and waved back

"Hey Mr. Resner, Just stopping by to say hey to the parents" internally rolling my eyes and remember why I hated coming back to this neighborhood. A bunch of fake ass white folks who would call the cops on the first nigga they see. I know, cuz they did that shit to me 3 times!!!

"Hows the wife doing?" He says

"She's doing fine" I say keeping it short while trying to open the door but notice that my key isn't working. The one time they change the fucking lock...

"You guys should stop by for dinner sometime, Jeffery is coming back from the military next month and Anne just moved back from California" Mr. Resner says mentioning his son Jeffery who I went to high school and found annoying as fuck and his daughter Anne, who I use to have a fling with until I got bored with white women. I bet Mr. Resner wouldn't want me in his house if he found out I use to use his daughters mouth as my sperm sitter. Shit he would probably try to Lynch me. 

"Um...sure...maybe..look I'll talk to you later Mr. R" I say heading to the back door ignoring the "bye" behind me. I slide the door open and come in through the kitchen.

"MAMA, MA YOU HOME" I yell heading to the living room

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and see my mother heading towards me with her hand on her chest. 

"Adrian, you scared the living day light out of me" 

"I'm sorry mama, I just need help with something" I kissing her on the cheek and lay back on the couch

"What is it honey?" she says rubbing behind me ear, I'm not going to lie that shit was about to make me fall asleep

"Do you have the number for dad's lawyer. Mr. Myer or some shit" I say closing my eyes but they quickly jump open when my mom smacked me in the back of my head

"What did I say about your mouth Adrian? One day I'm going to wash it out with soup. And what do you need a lawyer for...What did you get yourself into?" 

"Nothing Ma, Its for a friend"

"A friend, huh" She says giving me a skeptical look

"Yes ma, a friend got into some trouble and needs a lawyer so I'm just helping them out" 

"Who is this friend?" she put in quotation marks

"A coworker, they have outstanding parking tickets a need help"

My mom just stared at me knowing that I was full of shit, but I knew that she wouldn't say no. I literally have my mother in the palm of my hands. She feels too bad about her not defending me against my father that she just spoils me to death, to her detriment, but that's her own fault.

"I don't know his number" 

"What do you mean you don't know his number" I say getting a little irritated, I only came here for one thing and she couldn't even give me that

"you know I don't get into your fathers personal business. Thats his lawyer so if you want his number you will have to ask your father....or...."

"or what?" 

"He does attend service-" 

"Naw I'm good" I cut her off and get up to leave

"Adrian, Church can't be that bad. Besides you were raised in the church stop acting like a heathen"

"Your telling me that you can't get this man's number without asking dad"

"Unless you want your father to ask a million and one questions...no"

I sigh and think deep. I really want to help Fatima. Brian Meyers is one of the most powerful lawyers in this country and I have heard stories about him getting stone cold murderers out of jail. If he is able to do that for people that are guilty, then he could definitely help an innocent inmate who is a victim of sexual assault. But to have to go to that PLACE, what if I run into him? I'm not a little helpless boy anymore who could not defend themselves. I'm a grown ass man who would whoop anyones ass who even look at me crazy. 

"I'll ...go" I slowly say to my mom

A huge smile comes to my face, I internally roll my eyes. If I end up going to prison she better pay my bail.

"I'm so glad baby, maybe this will help you get closer to the lord."

"Yeah...whatever" I mumble the last part

"But um...ma I gotta go"

"Alright baby" she kisses my cheek and give me a warm hug

Her hugs made me feel like a child again, which gave me a bittersweet feeling of a child who thought that they were protected, but was far from it. I remove myself from her embrace and give her a tight smile.

"I'll see you on Sunday Mama"

Sunday. I can't fucking believe I agreed to this shit. I swear, the shit we do for love.