Chapter 11

Later that day, I just stayed at the office and it was like any normal day.

My mind kept wandering to what might have been the reason for my mother's situation, thankfully it wasn't as bad as before but.. It still concerned me, of course.

5:34 pm

Is what it read on the clock. Slowly, I gathered all the papers that I haven't finished reading and prepare myself to go home, much earlier than I was expected to go. Most of the employees had gone home already, I usually go home by 8 or 9 but I needed answers.

As I was about to stand from my chair I heard a knock.

"Yes, come in"

The door opened and it revealed a worried looking Lea.

"Hey, how's auntie? " she asked walking up to me, touching my shoulder, genuinely concerned.

"Hopefully, she'll tell me something once I'm home"

"I know auntie.. If she sees that it's making you worry so much then she'll tell you"

"I really hope so, this is bugging me all day"

"Don't worry about it, okay? If it's anything I can help.. You need only ask of me" she smiled.

"Thanks, hopefully it's nothing too serious that we need to crawl ourselves out of it again" I try to humor with my words as I got up and walk with Lea towards the exit of the building.

*********

Once I was home at about 6:00 I went straight to where I believe my mother would be: in her room.
When her room door was in front of me I knocked and called her out to hear nothing..

"Ma, I'm home Ma..." I tried knocking again.

"Where are you at Ma? "I called out to the rest of the house and knock on her bedroom door again.

When instead I hear nothing I opened her room and look for her inside, not finding her made me nervous, I was in the verge of panick.

I ran outside her room planning to look for her, I'm gonna flip the whole house from inside out.

"Rosa? " I called out to our maid.

Rosa has been our maid for a long time now, she's been with me from the start, helping me with building up my relationship with my mom and she also helped me in supporting my mom's situation.

"Yes Abe? What is it?" She came to me wiping her wet hands with a napkin.

"Where you in the kitchen? " I asked.

"Yes, I was preparing dinner, you're early.. " she said, smiling.

"No time to explain, have you seen Ma? "

"Yes, actually, she's in the garden.."

"The garden? " with my eyebrow raised I asked her with enough curiosity to kill a hundred cats.

"I know.. How long has it been since she went there right? " she said with a smile playing on her lips.

"5 years and a half " I said breathless and looking shocked.

Rosa nodded and looked as astonish as I do.

"Do you know why? " I asked her as I drag her along the corridors, contemplating if we should go to where Ma is and ask her herself.

"No idea.. Although I was also shocked that she baked your fathers favorite red velvet cake and peach mango pie this afternoon" she said, letting me drag her along as she taps her chin with her index finger.

"What??!" I said, not sure if i should be happy, scared, worried, I'm more of confused.

I look at Rosa as I stop in the middle of the stairs leading to our kitchen.

She shrugged her shoulders and look at me with a look that says 'I wish I know why'.

I look down, deflated and more confused than ever. I know I can actually go and ask my mom what's going on but it's easier said than done, especially with what I went through to come to this point.

"Look love, I know you're worried, heck I am as well.. You two are like family to me.. I also understand why it's hard to ask her, but sometimes, it's the only way to ease both of your minds" Rosa said as she tap my shoulder.

"What if she won't tell me.. What if my questions would break her"

"But what if she's just waiting for you to ask? " Rosa smiled and looked at me with encouragement.

I took a long breathe and I nod at her with a smile.

"Alright but do you think it's alright to spring the question once I'm there or should I slowly ease into it? " I asked her, afraid of any mistake..
Since my father died.. It has been hard talking to my mother about sensitive things, so I make it a point to avoid any of it from happening.

It has been years since her last break down.. It took a lot of time and therapy to even see her as she is right now, I'm afraid of a simple slip up would destroy everything we've accomplished so far.

"Isn't your mom already dating? " Rosa suddenly asked me.

"Yeah.. But I don't think it's something serious" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe you should start asking her about that first" she cheerfully suggested.

"Hmmmm..  Alright.. Then ask her slowly right??  About what seems to be wrong? "

"Yes, that would actually be the safest start"

"Alright.. That's a good idea" I contemplated.

"Just ask her the things that you know would ease both of your minds.. And also, if it's not a bother.. I'd like to be assured of your and her well being as well.. " Rosa told me, a hint of concern and hope in her voice.

"Of course Rosa "

"And if everything works out.. It would be amazing to eat the desserts she prepared along with dinner.. "

"I'll go to her and ask her everything we need to know" I assured her.

"Good, come to the table afterwards, make sure she's with you.. Both of you smiling and happy.. And you don't need to worry about what's next.. I got dinner covered. " Rosa tapped my shoulder again for encouragement.

Right, it's time to talk to Ma.

After the talk me and Rosa had, I made my way to the garden. It has been a long time since I went there, to fetch my mom that is..

She used to love that place. Her first few plants and flowers were bought by dad.. So it's unusual for her to be there especially with what happened last night..

This talk is either gonna give me answers to all my questions or no answers at all. One thing is for sure.. I'm coming out of there with my mother in tow, happy and me being there to support her all the way.

*********