Chapter 20

I did not see Lea for the next few hours.

When I finally and completely woke up, Jericho and I tried to slowly ask James all of what happened last night. It was already morning.

"What happened James?" I sat next to James bed as Ma held his hand.
He glanced at Ma and then his eyes land on mine then Jericho's.
"I don't know where to start, it all happened so quickly, one minute we were on our way here then the next all I could hear was my car being jammed up with two others" came his reply.
"Did you see the driver? The plate number?" Jericho's face was all but serious and for a moment I asked myself where Lea would be.

"Ill call the police so that they'll be notified with this" Henri had a hard look on his face upon hearing everything.
"I'm sorry Abe, but they were wearing ski masks, I didn't even notice what type of car they were driving, all I was thinking was keeping your mother and I safe til we get here" continued James.
I saw Ma squeezed his hand.

I took a deep breath as I look at Jericho, his jaws twitching.

"Take some rest honey, once the police comes over I'll wake you up again" Ma finally spoke when she noticed James grimace, he was still feeling some pain.

When James drifted off, Henri has already called the police and had them come over, they took Ma's testimony and said they'll come back for James when he wakes up.

*********
For the weeks that passed, James finally was discharged from the hospital after a week of staying there.
We kept in touch with the police for any leads, currently I have Jericho working on making sure we are as updated as possible. Henri also helped a lot for the past weeks.

Ma has been apprehensive for the first few days after James was discharged, calling him every two hours to check if he's alright, and me doing that to her.
*

"Everything is up and going, Ms. Lim gave me the reports of the latest shipment coming in for us from Dubai" (lol I'm sorry.. I don't know what else to say) Jericho said as he close the door behind him as he walk inside my office and makes his way towards me, all while eyeing Lea at the corner of the room, who had an annoyed face sitting on a sofa, just a couple of feet from my table.

I look up to him as he placed the papers down my table. "Thanks, I assumed you've looked into this already?",scanning the pages of the report.
He nodded, satisfied, I put it aside, going back to a very different list.

He went to look at what I'm looking at and before we can talk further about it.

" I know what you're both thinking.." came the voice of Lea, "but it's almost lunch time, let's talk it over there" she continued.

I was about to protest, seeing as it's only 11:30 pm. " I agree, I need to give my brain a break" J muttered while standing up, and walking over to her, offering a hand for Lea and both of them look at me.

"What?" was my response to this.
They both look at each other and sighed.
" You need food Abe" it was J who said it with a look of displeasure, and I look at Lea as she said, " I have been here for at least 20 minutes, trying to help her break free from that camera footage of that night" she stumped her foot, clearly angry.
"She's obsessed with that J and it's your fault!"

Jericho ran a hand through his hair and sat down again, ever since he got a copy of a security camera video from that night with Henri's help, he gave me the copy of that 10 minute video showing the incident.

Ignoring them, I took a glimpse of the list of things to consider, a lot of things running in my head.
It can't be just a random act of violence, I refuse to consider the idea that this was not planned, they wanted to hurt my mom or James, .. but what would be their motive.
The police mentioned that the place we're it happened was prone to rubbery and theft so there is a possibility that James and Ma was another one of the victims.

"Have you heard from the police or  Henri?" I asked no one in particular.

" Abe, I know you're worried but can we please eat first?" Lea asked.
"I promise to call him again later.. after we get lunch?" She continued.

I look at Jericho as he too looked at me, "We should eat Abe, the police might be right and they might have the guys right now, stop obsessing over it, I'll help you look into it after".

I heaved a sigh and stood up.
" Get Henri please, I want him there" "On it, Finally!!" Lea said as we make our way to the doors of my office.

My mind replaying the recorded video of the incident, feeling like I'm missing something.

**********

I know it's short.. and very ........ Bad haha.. sorry got into an accident.. hopefully I get better.