Chapter 5

Queen Jacqueline Bouvier comes from the aristocratic Bouvier family who's been a part of the French nobility since the 1700s. The Bouvier family maintained their reign in the country since it won its independence.  So people assume that she is stuck up when first meeting her. What most don't know about her and the misconception comes from her being very shy.

When the spotlight is on her she can do her duties, shake hands, go on walkabouts, cut ribbons, and pose for the camera. Like a great actress in her award-winning role. But she is terrified of large crowds and hates giving speeches. Despite her great beauty, her self-esteem isn't very high.

Throughout her childhood and into adulthood; Jackie's mother Janét Bouvier has always nitpicked and criticized her children's looks. Everything has to be perfect from their hair down to their shoes. One little hair out of place and she would point it out to make her children feel bad for such a thing. Something that Jackie has described to Margaret as The Unforgivable sin.

When Jackie attended college and had to write a self-portrait essay she described herself as 5'7" with brown hair, a square face and eyes so unfortunately far apart that it took three weeks for her to have a pair of glasses made with a bridge wide enough to fit over her nose.

"I do not have a sensational figure but can look slim if I pick the right clothes...but often my mother will run up, inform me that my left stocking seam is crooked or the right-hand top coat button about to fall off. This, I realize, is the Unforgivable Sin." she read in her classroom one fall morning.

Janét has always made it known that she feels her younger daughter Caroline is the most beautiful of the three siblings, and Jacqueline is just average. Despite Jackie being the heir to the throne that still didn't matter to her. Since Jackie has taken her father's place Janét has become even more critical, even more so because Jackie isn't married yet. 

Janét feels that Jackie's intelligence will scare off the right man. Jackie would be deemed too brainy. Contrary to what her mother thinks, Jackie has discovered most men prefer a woman with brains and not some airhead. 

Fast forward to tonight which is the night of her birthday gala. The gown she decided to wear will prove her mother wrong, piss off the old maidens of the Parliament wives, and hopefully catch the eye of a certain male. The gown she settled on screamed royal yet seductive.

She looks gorgeous in her floor-length strapless gown with its matching shawl. The gown is light blue with a bow that comes together at the bust with a diamond starburst brooch her father gave her on her twenty-first birthday as an accent. After applying her lipstick she puts on her diamond earrings, before putting on her gloves. 

Just then there is a knock at the door. 

"Come in," Jackie says as she takes a final look at herself in the mirror. 

Margaret walks in and sees her best friend. "Jackie I love your gown, you are gorgeous!"

"Thank you, Margaret," Jackie replies with a smile. 

"Well, we know Mr. Kennedy will most certainly be impressed," Margaret says teasing her best friend. 

Jackie's cheeks turn pink at the mention of John's name. She is excited he accepted her invitation to her birthday party. Everything had to be perfect from her hair down to her feet. She wants John Kennedy to see her as the young intelligent sensual woman she is. 

"I think so, but I can only imagine what my mother is going to say," Jackie says before lighting a cigarette to help calm her nerves. She takes a long drag, letting the nicotine help calm her down. 

Tonight is all about her and that means all eyes will be on her. The last thing she needs is for her shyness to get the best of her. 

"What? Did you ever show your mother the dress?" Margaret inquires.