The Car Journey

Ama and I sat in the back seat of the car curled up with the heater on as high as it would go. It had been so much warmer in the hospital, but it was freezing outside seeing as it was December. It had snowed since I had last been conscious. Looking outside I gazed at beautiful snowflakes covered the ground like a blanket, it was twilight, the sun had just dipped below the horizon and it was growing ever darker.
Ama and I were on either side of the car, purposely staying that way even though we were quite cold. I wished I could curl up into her side not the side to the car. It was much too cold. The silence in the car was more than a little awkward so I was more than happy when Ama's Mum started talking to us.
"Mika, just to let you know, tonight we will be having Bolognese for dinner. I'm sorry that we don't have anything else so if you have dietary requirements feel free to let us know. You don't have to eat it if you don't want to."

At that, I was stunned. Ama's mum... cooked? I had always had premise meals. My family never bothered to cook and bring an only child I really didn't have anyone else to do it for me. I could bake but I couldn't eat cookies for every meal now could I? That was why I also got my lunch from the cafeteria. I realised Ama's Mum had been waiting for a response.
"Oh... ummm... I don't have any... um Miss. I just don't like crustaceans. That's all. Sorry if that's an inconvenience for you." I said with my head bowed.
"That is fine Mikara.(Mikara being my full name) I would just like you not to call me Mrs. DiAngica or Miss or AMA's mum. I am your foster mum so you can call me Mum if you want or Aunty."
"Ummm... is it ok if I call you Aunty?" I asked quietly.
"Perfectly, darling." She said making me inwardly cringe. I glanced over to Mika seeing a similar expression on her face. I smirked and winked at her. Where had my confidence come from? I shuffled closer to her, giving a mumbled "I'm cold." as my excuse. Her long tan fingers grabbed me by under my armpits and hoisted me up a little further.
"...closer then." I caught. I wrapped my arms around her waist squeezing tightly. I had been asleep for who knows how long and yet I was still tired. I felt one of Ama's arms encircle my waist, her hand stroking the top of my head. Why was I comfortable with this? She didn't like me... but my body wouldn't listen to my brain. It was only taking commands from my heart? My stupid, stupid heart that just won't give up. I need to let it go. I closed my eyes and bit my lip. I was NOT going to cry. I felt her cheek come to rest on the top side of my head. I was never going to get over Ama. Oh gods.