FIVE

It was going past eight at night when Yoongi entered the dining room where Namjoon, Seokjin and Jimin all sat together. They were eating ramen noodles while talking low to one another.

Nothing seemed amiss. If Hoseok had been sitting right there, it wouldn't even have been that surprising because the whole scene screamed normal. Normal, like Hoseok was present and alive. Normal, like their best friend hadn't been found murdered this very morning. Normal, like they weren't being confined to their apartment and suspected of a murder. 

It was slightly annoying to Yoongi that all the members lived their lives as if Hoseok's death wasn't changing everything; as if Hoseok's death was only a minor bump in their chaotic existences. Because their lives might have been a mess, they were a consistent mess. It had always been the seven of them, conquering the world as BTS. 

But now they were six, and the members still felt the same somehow. 

The same, like Yoongi could begin to talk about a new song and they would discuss it for an hour. The same, like Yoongi could cook dinner and they would all eat it and thank him. The same, because Yoongi felt alone in the middle of a crowd, as he always had.

Hoseok, somehow, used to manage to make him feel less alone when they were together. If Yoongi was the Earth, Hoseok was the Sun; shining light on him and allowing him to get through the day. Yoongi, with Hoseok, just wasn't the same Yoongi. With Hoseok, he wasn't alone

And ever since Hoseok died, Yoongi was working hard to make himself believe that sometimes, being alone was better.

And still, BTS as a whole, without Hoseok, felt the exact same.

Yoongi took a bowl of ramen and sat down at the table - eyes automatically finding Hoseok's seat to his left. 

It was empty, and Yoongi felt his heartbeat pick up. 

Of course it was empty; what had he been expecting? That Hoseok would be there, smiling at him brightly and paying attention to him? Hoseok was gone. He would never stare at Yoongi again. He would never smile at him again. 

Oh, what he would give to see Hoseok's smile again. Hoseok's smile that lit up his world and made him feel so safe. Hoseok's gaze, focused on him and only him, making him feel like he mattered. Hoseok's words, telling him how important he was to him. Hoseok's face, so pretty and perfectly bright. 

Now it was all blurry in Yoongi's mind. The good times that he loved so much were getting overshadowed by Hoseok's death. And no mattered how much Yoongi fought, he couldn't seem to keep the thoughts of his death at bay. 

Oh, what he would give to forget about Hoseok's frozen face. Hoseok's dead body laying in the middle of the room. Hoseok's last words, "I'm going to bed." If only he had known his bed would become his coffin. Maybe something would have changed, that night. 

It drove Yoongi crazy to have Hoseok's death slowly replacing Hoseok's life in his mind and his soul. He didn't want it that way, he wanted to remember only the good in Hoseok, only the things he loved about Hoseok. But those things were slowly fading away, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. 

"Yoongi-hyung, do you think the police will soon find the murderer?" Jimin asked him, barely above a whisper. 

Yoongi raised his eyes from his ramen and met Jimin's, sitting across the table.

It suddenly hit Yoongi how Jimin looked empty. His gaze wasn't shining like it used to, the sparks were gone and there was nothing to replace it. No fear, no sadness, no anger - nothing. Nothing but the bare gaze of someone who had found their best friend dead and had seemingly died along with him, right at that very moment.