CHAPTER TWELVE: A NEW LEADER

Relment comes up behind Sable and Marista, and all three horses stare at the river, unsure of what to do next. If the waters of this river hadn't been so fast and rough, Sable would have jumped in to save Jerrist, not just for the black horse, but also for Marista. He turns to look at her, and watches the mare sadly as she lets out a sorrowful neigh. She lowers her head to the ground, grieving.

Sable tries his best to cheer her up. "C-come on, I'm sure he's okay," he tries to reassure her, though he really has no idea whether Jerrist really is or not.

Marista looks up at Sable, her eyes filled with tears. "You don't understand," she tells him, choked up. "There is no way that my Dad, or that bear, could survive the rapids."

Sable looks down at the ground, suddenly feeling embarrassed, and very guilty. It is partly his fault, he thinks, that Jerrist is now gone. He should have just left them alone, and ran when he could.

"I'm sorry for your loss Marista, I really am," Relment breaks in. "But we kind of have another problem right now. Now that Jerrist is gone, we don't have a leader. And without a leader, we don't have protection."

Suddenly, Sable sees the light come back into Marista's beautiful eyes. She turns to face him.

"You could be our new leader!" She shouts excitedly.

Relment understands, and smiles in agreement.

"Wha-what?" Sable stammers. Marista's comment has completely taken him by surprise.

"You are our former leader, Kelay's son," Marista explains. "So you actually are our rightful leader!"

"I-I don't know about this," Sable replies. "I g-grew up with humans, so I have no idea how to be the leader of a h-herd of wild horses!" He is also not sure if he wants to stay here that long. He wants to get back to the Timmonses-- back to Claire-- as soon as possible.

"Don't worry, I'll help you," Marista tells him. "I was the daughter of a leader, so I know all about being the leader of this herd!"

At mentioning her father, Marista pauses for a moment. She glances towards the river, in the direction that her father was swept away in.

Seeing the sadness in Marista's eyes once again, Sable thinks for a moment. Should he do this? He has found freedom, made new friends, and a beautiful mare is going to help him become the leader of this herd, like his mother was before him. But then he thinks about his home, about Mr. and Mrs. Timmons, and most of all about Claire. He still misses Claire with all of his heart, but this herd really seems to need him. What should he do?

Finally, he comes to a decision. "I, um... I'll do it." he tells Marista and Relment.

The gray horse smiles again, and the mare gets excited.

Sable decides to let the needs of this herd outweigh his selfish wants. He hopes that maybe someday he will see Claire again, but for now a herd of wild horses needs his help! Even if he had decided to try to go home, he doesn't know how to get there anyway, because his only source for that information is now gone... and partly because of him.

He just hopes that Marista never, ever blames him for this.

"We have to go tell the herd," Marista says excitedly. "We have to officially appoint you as the leader!" After one last sad glance at the river that carried her father away, she runs off through the forest back towards the herd, and Relment and Sable follow behind her.

At least it doesn't sound like Marista blames Sable for this. Relieved, he decides to ask Relment, "How do I get appointed as leader, anyway?" Marista is now far ahead of them and out of earshot.

"You just have to stand on the highest hill, announce your new position to the whole herd..." Relment replies. "Tell them all of your secrets, like how you lived with humans and your feelings about Marista. It helps them get to know you better."

Sable stares at Relment nervously, his heart pounding. "R-really?" He squeaks.

"Well, the part about getting up on the hill is true," Relment says with a laugh. "But the rest was just a joke!"

Sable sighs with relief, and then he glares at Relment teasingly.

The three horses meet back up with the rest of the herd, and tell of the awful tragedy that just befell Jerrist. Marista then reveals to the herd that Sable has "volunteered" to be the new leader, and so they appoint him as such.

As the sun begins to set, Sable looks down at his new herd from atop the hill. He will miss Claire terribly, but he has to admit to himself right now, especially as he watches Marista get ready to go to sleep, that he has never felt so alive and free in his life.

He also watches the herd --his herd-- prepare for rest, and knows that he made the right decision. Today is the first day of his brand-new life.

His life as a leader.