Chapter 14: Awakening

|Unedited|

The monitors were beeping in a rhythmic pattern. Two bodies lay on parallel hospital beds. They were clothed in hospital gowns as their bodies were connected to various contraptions. Many people crowded around that area, many with sorrowful and worried looks on their faces.

"I'm so sorry that I made you two walk in such dangerous conditions. What would I do without you two. I-I don't know what to do anymore. Please wake up," Evie cried as she caressed both of her children's hands.

As if responding to her call, José started to shift in his bed. Although the movement was minimal, Evie caught on to his awakening and her eyes brightened up. Antidote stood around (Y/N) hoping that she would wake up after her brother. Slowly but surely, José opened his eyes. He was still in a drowsy state, and he ended up waking in alarm.

"Mom?" José asked in a breathy voice.

"Honey don't speak. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," Evie expressed in happy tears.

Xavier, who was out getting food for the group, just returned to the room to see José waking up. He nearly dropped his bags full of food in a happy surprise.

"Son!" Xavier cried out as he practically ran up to José.

José gave a small smile and attempted to push himself up with his elbows before crashing back down.

"Hold on sweetie. Xavier will you get that for him?" Evie asked as she indicated for Xavier to elevate the automatic bed.

Wiping his happy tears, Xavier presses the button on the little remote as Evie adjusted the pillows behind José's back.

"Where's (Y/N)? Help (Y/N)!" José exclaimed in a loud voice.

He appeared as if a lightbulb switched on in his head. He was sweating predominantly from the multiple blankets as his eyes darted around in search for his sister.

"She's...she's resting right now," Xavier said hesitantly.

Once José was in an upright position he could see his little sister laying still on the adjacent bed. Joey was the first out of the teenage boys to greet him. Since they had a history, Joey was the only one to greet José.

"These kind gentleman saved your sister. To be honest, she almost...died," Evie clarified before coughing out the word died.

José was startled at first, then a look of despondency crossed his face, "All but to save me,"

At that moment he felt unbearable pain in his chest. He swore, internally, that he would never fight with (Y/N) again. His eyes scanned her battered body. Since she was heating up immensely, they had removed the blankets on her. Her body was thinner than before; however, it was not that noticeable. Her lips were chapped and various scratches were visible.

"Thank you boys so much," Xavier exclaimed as he shoved multiple food articles into their hands, "I can never thank you enough. Without you all, I don't know what I would've done."

Evie and Xavier had already thanked them several hundred times when they arrived to the hospital. The parents nearly dropped onto their knees to show their thankfulness.

José was still quite worn out before he spoke, "Antidote, thank you for bringing (Y/N) back."

Antidote nodded and bowed slightly before returning their gaze back to (Y/N). Kaoru was sitting next to the girl. He laid his head next to hers and stared deeply at the side of her face.

"It seems like you all are interested in my daughter?" Evie asked.

Akihiko, being the kinder and gentler one, stuttered, "Oh no ma'am, we are just friends with her, and we were worried for her safety."